News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Nameservers?

Started by jekkal, October 15, 2007, 11:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jekkal

I've just picked up a new URL for the comic ( http://www.lastres0rt.com ), and am currently forwarding traffic to it. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of the current masking (among other things, my little domain icon doesn't show!), and so I'd like to point the domain name to something a little more substantial.

The thing is, I'm not sure what the nameservers for my site are, or if we even have them. It seems like that would be simple enough to fix, but I'm not sure if we have this ability.

Help? Advice? Tips on how to wrestle GoDaddy.com into doing what you want?

Xepher

The way it works is you request me to link the domain name to your account. I add it to the nameserver and webserver configs here, and then you set ns1.xepher.net (and ns2.xepher.net) as the authoritative nameservers for your domain. Everything else happens server-side. Can you wait like a week or two? I just got back from India, and I'm trying to get the new server in place as soon as I can. I've already transfered most of the account info, and I don't want to go in manually to add this right now. As soon as the new server is up I can add it quickly and easily though.

jekkal

Quote from: Xepher on October 16, 2007, 06:12:52 AMCan you wait like a week or two? I just got back from India, and I'm trying to get the new server in place as soon as I can. I've already transfered most of the account info, and I don't want to go in manually to add this right now. As soon as the new server is up I can add it quickly and easily though.

Sure, site only updates once-a-week anyhow, and as I said, the name's already seeing a little use ala forwarding.

Just let me know when we can proceed.

jekkal

Asking again about it, as I know it's been a couple weeks already, heh.

Xepher

Heh, no problem. I am a lot slower sometimes than I plan to be. I sat down and started coding stuff around 2pm yesterday. It's now 9am and I'm about to go to bed. I never dreamed the "little bit" of coding I had left to do would take so long. I'm gonna give it another go after some sleep, but the good news is that I really am 'almost finished' this time, and I'm quite happy with the new newsbox stuff. It's shiny!

But as shipping this thing will take until next week (even if it left within the hour) I'm gonna go ahead and implement your domain on the current server. Just set the nameservers for your domain to be ns1.xepher.net and ns2.xepher.net and it should work. What will happen is that the new server won't have that domain setup on it initially. I'll try and remember to do it before I ship it off, but if I forget, you'll just have to poke me if it stops working before/once the new server is up.

EDIT: I say this, but then in my sleep-deprived delirium, I put the wrong thing into my form and cause it to spew garbage all over the configs... fixing that now.

EDIT: Okay, it should all be fixed now.

fesworks

Can you please add http://www.webcomicbeacon.com to my "fesworks" account please? I already changed the nameservers.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

I'm not on my normal PC at the moment... Gimme a day or so and I'll do it. Bug me again in 24 hours if it's not working by then.

fesworks

I'm not needing it anytime too soon, so that's cool.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Okay, it's done. Keep in mind, my "edit account" stuff is still half manual, so if somethings quirky (especially with email) let me know. The link above seems to work correctly from here though.

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

jekkal

... Psst, Llearch decided to go and grab last-resort.net (off his own back), so can I get those added into the configs and stuff as well?

Xepher

Just got back from a camping trip, but I'll try to get to it later tonight. Bug me again in a day or so in case I forget.

Xepher

Alright, it's done. Works from here, but it may take a day or so to work everywhere.