News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Server move: I've reverted to December, 2006!

Started by reinder, November 11, 2007, 01:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinder

Xepher, my site shows up again, but it shows the state of the website as of December, 2006. Will the newer stuff be transferred to the new machine, or is it lost?

Update: what it's showing is the Movable Type-based, static version of the site, which was last updated in December. The dynamic, PHP-driven version appears to be completely gone.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle

Xepher

No no, nothing is lost! The old server is still there, with it's full data intact, and there's a complete backup of THAT on the new server, and the "working" copy is a third copy. I need to figure out what's making it act like it's december. I'm gonna guess the database itself. Lemme go look and make another attempt at copying your database (yours is HUGE by the way.) :-)

reinder

Thanks - see my update to my original post. Neither PHP nor Perl seem to be working - I can see the static output from Movable Type, but can't use the Perl backend scripts.
Reinder Dijkhuis

Xepher

Can you give me hints where/what it's missing? That is, where's the dynamic stored or looking for. I get the feeling that the new perl and/or php installs are probably missing a module or two that your scripts need and so it drops to the static version, but without an error, I don't know what's missing.

EDIT: I feel like an idiot. Your database password has changed to the password you set during account renewals. You need to modify your script configs to match. Let me know if that doesn't fix it.

reinder

Right.
My new password.
You know, I knew that was going to happen, and I even wrote the new password down. So now all I need to do is remember where I wrote it down.

Reinder Dijkhuis

Xepher

I've changed it for you in the willow-config.php at least. Also, I feel like a double idiot, the "index.html" file was getting checked/used before index.php. I've renamed your index.html to index.static.html so now it falls to the index.php file and seems to give a properly updated website. I apologize that the new newsbox breaks your layout, but you can probably do without the extra frames/boxes now. See http://xepher.net/help.php for the full details, but the basics is that you can replace any/all newsbox code with:

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://xepher.net/newsbox.js.php?username=myusername&shape=box'></script> (changing, of course, for your username instead of "myusername") and it doesn't even have to be in a .php file anymore, so you can use it as part of your normal CMS-designed layout.

fesworks

so do you still have it check .html before .php?? because I have a few directories set up with both, but meant to looked at like

.php > .htm > .html

what is the current "index" check?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

PHP is loaded as an apache module now (it doesn't get called as external CGI anymore) so it's config comes after the normal apache ones. I think the current priority is .html .var.html (multi-language stuff) .htm and then .php

The bottom line is there really isn't a reason you should have multiple "index" pages in the same folder. It just leads to this sort of confusion. :-)

fesworks

Well, for The Shifter Archive I have multiple because I designed it so that I can have an archive page hidden and.... well, I'll just have to delete some files I think.

nyeh :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com