News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Server move & scripts?

Started by Slang, November 13, 2007, 02:29:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slang

Hey Xeph, I've got a couple problems with some php scripts.
A couple of 'em aren't working since the server move.
The CJ Tag Board on my front page and the backend admin panel of my art gallery tripout.xepher.net/gallery/admin.php

The tag board is nearly completely broken. The gallery admin only has broken images
edit: actually there's plenty of errors in the gallery script now too.. uploading files for example. =\

Is there something I've got to change to fix this? I tried chmoding the tagboard files back to what they should be ( by the way I noticed the properties of everything is 600? Wasn't it 700 before, for .PHP? Is there even a difference? o0 ) but to no avail, still appears broken.

----
And although it has nothing to do with this thread, I was wondering if we'd have a choice between the old newsbox and the new one with the big ads? I liked the simple customizable Xepher.net + Donate + pageviews one a lot better.
And speaking of which... are our hit counters gone? D:
"It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."
-Herman Melville

Xepher

Okay, it looks like the problem is that the code for both of those scripts is invalid/obsolete. Way back with php3 (1999 or so) you could start a php code block with "<?" alone instead of "<?php" like all versions since have used... they've offered an option for backwards compatibility with that option, but by doing so, it breaks any pages that also have XML in them. As the new xepher.net site is written to be (almost) XHTML compliant, it's now become impossible to run with that option. The solution is to do a search/replace in all the php files, changing "<?" to "<?php" Be careful to only do that once though, or you might end up with "<?phpphp"

As for the newsbox... no, I'm sorry, the old one doesn't exist any more. I know I can't please everyone all the time, but more people seem to like the new one, including me. (And my vote counts for a bit :-P ) Keep in mind that it will look better once the ugly text placeholder images get replaced by users uploading their own images. A quick scroll through http://www.xepher.net/sitedirectory.php and you can see a few people have already put up much nicer images. The newsbox is optional now though. I do ASK that you display at least some form of it, as I think it's good for the community, and will both help get more traffic for your site (from other sites) as well as attract new sites to xepher.net itself. It's up to you if you want to use it or not though. But keep in mind, as is explained at http://www.xepher.net/help.php your banners won't be in the rotation on other sites if you don't have a newsbox or banner on your own site.

As for the hit counter, yes it's gone as well. For one thing, it wasn't very accurate. The new newsbox actually does keep some basic stats though, mainly that I use for determining if someone's currently running a newsbox on their page so they can be added/removed from the banner rotation if needed. I'll soon have the web stats system back up and running through, which can give you much more detailed information about your site traffic. (If you didn't see it before, it has charts and graphs and everything.) Or you could install one of dozens of PHP hit counters that do the same thing as the one on the old newsbox. In fact, if you want, I can give you the code for the old one and you can modify it for your own use if you feel up to the challenge.

Slang

Aah, okay. I'll give that a shot later on today, thanya' very much Xeph =)

Aw, that's a bummer. I do like the rotating images, the size of em kill me though. No idea where to put it! I'll figure it out, probably end up using the banner one somewhere.. we should have mini banners, those 120x60 (average) kind. I think that'd be useful for a lot of people here actually.

Aaww, inaccurate? I liked that counter anywho, it was fun to watch it =) When you get the web stats up again will it be reset (my bet it will be)?
-Herman Melville

dragyn

Looks like the <?php is what I'll need, as well.   When I can, I'll fix that.

Blasted outdated tutorial...

Xepher

We'll see about the stats reset... I can always set things to whatever, so I can pull the counts off the old server/database if need be. Haven't decided how best to do things though.

fesworks

Well, cool, the old script still works so I don't have to mess with it :P

I also uploaded images, but they are to The Shifter Archive :P I guess I didn't think of that. Well, I have my base xepher URL set to link to a hub page for now until I figure out how I want to work my links and urls.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Slang

Xeph I've run into another problem D:

Replaced all '<?' with '<?php' for my tagboard - it's working perfectly now. (thankyou!)

But my gallery still turns out the same; only the admin area appears funky, what visitors see is exactly as it should be.
I triple-checked it for any mistakes.. code looks fine, and yet images are still broken and I can't upload any files.
http://tripoutdesigns.com/gallery/admin.php

Help?
-Herman Melville

griever

<link href="<?php=ADMIN_FOLDER?>admin.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

I looked at the default admin style that MG2 had for download and it had:

<link href="skins/admin/admin.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

Could this be a case of cut and paste/replace all?  Unless ADMIN_FOLDER is a variable, in which case, I think it would be:

<link href="<?php echo $ADMIN_FOLDER?>admin.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

But I'm guessing here....
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Yeah, I haven't used MG2, so I'm not clear on exactly what was supposed to be there, but it does LOOK like it should be a variable, and thus, your last code snippet would be the proper replacement. My only hesitance is that there's an "=" sign in there, which normally wouldn't be in that sort of "echo $variable" bit. I'd still say try it though, and see if it works. Alternately, look at a freshly downloaded copy of one of those code bits, and see what the original code was. It's possible it somehow got broken by your search/replace.

Slang

Yay! It all works now. (havn't had time to get to this til now)

Thank you so much guys! Ya' really saved me :D

<3
-Herman Melville