News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

User not found error for my message board

Started by Rusty, November 13, 2007, 05:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rusty

Ever since the server move, whenever I try to access my message board, I get an error message of:

An error was encountered
Error: Unable to connect to MySQL server. MySQL reported: Access denied for user '*******'@'localhost' (using password: YES).

Slang

You probably have to change the password in the configs if it's different than what you use to access your site. The passwords to our SQL databases are now the same password as.. everything else basically.
"It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation."
-Herman Melville

Xepher

Rusty

Okay, now I'm having trouble accessing the original database so I can get my message board working. I can see the database and it seems to be the right size, so the data is still there. However, I can't seem to get the right prefix to access it.

-edit-

I'm using PunBB as my messageboard software if that helps. from the support site, it seems that in the database, something happened to the guest account, which has messed up the forum. I'm honestly not sure how to fix this. I hate to think it, but I'm worried that I've lost all the user info for the forum and have to start from scratch.

Xepher

First off, Don't Panic! :-)

I still have the exact database that was dumped from your site at the move, as well as nightly backups since. (The system here makes a backup of everything, everynight, and keeps them for up to six weeks.) Now, what  exactly is the problem. You say you're having "trouble accessing the original database." Trouble how? Where are you trying, phpMyAdmin? Via your forum? What precisely is giving an error, and what is that error. (A link to your forum so I can see the problem would help too.)

You mention prefix... that shouldn't have changed at all, the only database thing that should've changed was the password, so you should've only needed to edit that in the config file for punBB. I'm looking at your database right now, and all the tables are empty except for the config... Checking the old server... there's no tables there at all. Are you sure you used MySQL and not SQLite? I see your punBB installation, and there's an SQLite file there called "coontf" that looks like the forum database. What did you do to try and change the password?...

Hold everything, are you SURE you're talking about the punBB forum? That is, in the folder "PunBB"? Even the files on the old server hadn't been updated since february, so that can't be it.

Alright, before I go any further with this, let me know what you're trying, and from where. That is, give me URLs and usernames you're trying... pretty much all info you can (except passwords.)

Rusty

The address of my forum is http://coontf.xepher.net/punBB .

I used to use PhPBB but switched to PunBB around February because of problems with spam. The files in the folder PunBB are from February because that's when I installed the forum and I just haven't updated it since then. Those files should be all right.

After I posted my initial message and received the initial response. In the config.php file, I changed the password and the database name to match my Xepher user name and password. That seemed to correct my problem with being unable to see the database.

Now, the error it gives when I access it is: Error: Unable to fetch guest information.

Back in February I think it was, I tried to install with SQLight but had to abandon that as I couldn't import from the PhPBB database with it. I think I have three tables (or whatever the prefixes refer to). coontf should be from the old PhPBB one. I tried a fresh install with PunBB making a new Prefix coontf2 (which itself should be empty as I didn't do much of anything with it). I was using rustyrascal for the PunBB install that I'm having the problem with.

I think the problem is that, it can't see the table (again, assuming this is what prefix refers to) that I was using for the PunBB install, which I'm pretty sure should be rustyrascal . From what I've heard, this could be caused by the loss of the guest account in the table. However, I might just be mistaking the prefix name. The one I'm using was indeed a MySQL one. I know because I needed to use that to be able to import/convert the files from the older PhPBB forum.

I'm hoping I'm making sense here. In short, the problem seems to not be with the forum itself, but with getting it to see the data in the database where it was accessing it from before the server change.

When I 'fixed' the config.php file for PunBB, I changed the password for the database to my xepher password but I also changed the database name to coontf. Should I have left the database name as I had it before?

Xepher

Okay, the last thing you said is probably key... You "changed the database name to coontf" It was something different before? The database name IS the database... a different name is a different database, so if you were using something else before. I'm guessing you were using a database for some other account. Did you have two accounts? If so, what was the old account, the database for that account may not have been moved if that account itself wasn't.

Rusty

I'm pretty sure that I was using the user name of coontf for the old database but   I'm not 100% on that.

The old database was called fortruddlerforum .

Xepher

No, there was a seperate fortruddlerforum database. I've imported all the tables from THAT into your current "coontf" database. It looks to have three sets of tables, prefixed "coontf", "rustyrascal" and "phpbb"... and your database also has the NEW/empty tables punBB made prefixed with "coontf2"... I'd suggest changing that prefix option in your config until you find which set works, then go into phpMyAdmin and delete the other stuff you don't need so it's not confusing in the future.

Let me know if this does or doesn't solve your problem. :-)

Rusty

That seems to have fixed it. Thanks for taking the time to help.