News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

How do I update my website now?

Started by tmazanec1, November 15, 2007, 06:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmazanec1

I  use the link Xepher gave me back when, but it just returns an error message.

Xepher

Yeah, sorry, I've been dealing with desktop PC issues lately... haven't had a chance to respond to your email. I built a new system, and it turns out nvidia hasn't released linux drivers for the video card yet. Anyway, the answer is that the server no longer runs FTP (the service you were using before) because it was insecure. You need to use an SCP client like http://winscp.net. I'd give you more details, but I'm not even at my own home right now. If you need more detailed help, I'll try and do so in the next few days when I have some more time.

tmazanec1

OK, I'll wait. It was an update to my Lyrics correction page.
Back in the old days, I sent lyrics in to a site called Lyrics World. Some of them were full of mondegreens, and some just had a lot of question marks where I couldn't even make a guess. It was run by a Brazilian named Paulo Filho. I figured people would send in corrections, and I could pass them along. This was nearly a decade ago, you understand. I figured if Paulo got hit by a truck or something, his site would go 404 or DSL error.
Well, he dropped off the face of the Earth. Now when people send me corrections, I cannot update them, though Lyrics World was still there last time I checked. To make matters worse, a bazillion web sites copied my lyrics, even the obviously mangled ones, and they will not update when I send corrections to them either. So I just put them on my website.
I sent the corrections to Xepher as attatchments. He can do it manually if he wishes, but it would be more convienient for all of us if he just taught me how to use the new system.