News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Hey so, anyone online for a xepher.net chat?

Started by Gwyn, September 20, 2005, 01:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwyn

Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

Indeed! I'm getting an internet radio setup going. http://xepher.net:8000/ It won't be up all the time of course. If you don't see a stream listed there, then I'm offline. Mostly it's just whatever I'm playing on my computer here.

This weekend though...

I want to have a party. We've got a chatroom at http://xepher.net/chat and I've got the radio setup going. It'll obviously be a BYOB affair, but otherwise, we should have everything we need for a party.

I'm going to give other people the chance to DJ for a while. What you'll need is a plugin for winamp... http://www.oddsock.org/tools/oddcastv3/ to let you put a stream on the server. If you want to test it out before then, the source password is "cow" and the server is xepher.net, on port 8000. Mess with it. I'd suggest you use OGG vorbis encoding, and quality level 0, but in stereo. Trust me, it sounds just fine there. Play with it, and point a friend or two at the main radio page, and your stream should show up and they can listen. If you're technically minded, and have another method in mind... just know it's an icecast2 server, and you can use whatever program you want to create your stream. I may actually be doing a bit of live DJing, since I have a microphone and everything.

Anyway, we need to figure out a time that most people can come hang out. I'm thinking friday or saturday night... probably rather late. Let me know what times work or don't for ya'll, and I'll make a final decision in the next day or so.

Gwyn

I'm gonna be out of town this weekend :p, probably next weekend too. I'll still probably have computer access tho.

Databits

too bad I can't connect to if using mIRC (to my knowledge)
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Yeah, there's no IRC involved. I'd much rather use IRC as well, but that's the one prohibition of my hosting contract. I can't run IRC without being on their special (ed) IRC network. Here's the reason... 90% of IRC is used for piracy or hacking/war. No joke... before they split the IRC lusers off to their own network, my intrusion detection was reading hundreds of attacks and scans every day. Now (at least until that hacking attempt last week) it's only a few a day. I'm not willing to run on the same network as that many infected and evil computers, so I had to find another solution for chat.

Gwyn

Should I change the sample rate to anything, it could be just my connection but it sounds like crap when I try it :p

Databits

You could always write your own chat server/client. >.>
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

griever

*sobs*  I want to come!  But I don't know what my plans and the time conversion's a pain...maybe in January?  *looks hopeful*
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)