News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Unauthorized access to http://missmab.com

Started by taspacecampjh, September 20, 2005, 07:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taspacecampjh

Hello. I am pleading a request for the last few login IP address' for Amber M. Panyko's Website http://missmab.com/  that doen't fit her normal IP address.
She had an unauthorized entry of her site and we the fans wish to track down the low down SOB that screwed up the website.
I relize that my request may not be acceptable but please help us hunt the user down so we can bring him to justice.
If the problem is unable to post here on the fourms please by all means email it to txgorilla@gmail.com

Also is there any backups of the website asto restore it back to its origional form?

Thanks for a reply in advance

-----
DJ Texas Gorilla with KWKAT Planetfurry Radio

Gwyn

Track him down? It's the guy who does the Castlevania RPG that she links to on her main site. Not much tracking involved with that.

And if Amber has a problem with it she probably contacted xepher herself already.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

taspacecampjh

True but Amber hasent found out as of yet cence she hasen't logged on asto see the destruction.
We have others that believe this isent the work of Castlevania RPG.
Another reson for the need of IP is to adjust blame to the correct person and not start a flame war on the fans fourm.
Some point at Ambers brother on her old pc and some point at other users on the fourm. I point to the IP for the truth.

Xepher

The issue has been brought to my attention and is being dealt with.

Maverick

Dang, I just now thought about posting about it on these forums but I see that the problem is being delt with accordingly. I hope he gets a severe punishment or reparations of somekid, but that is just me...

Databits

You should never save your passwords, so even though he shouldn't have done it, both parties are somewhat at fault. Seems to fall under similar practices as giving someone else your password to share your webspace.

Now I'm not saying what he did is right, or that amber was wrong (actually he was quite an ass hole over something really stupid), but you've gotta take into consideration what occured all the way around.

I hope she has a backup of her stuff. Normally the best way to fix something like this is to change your password, contact the admin (seems to have already been done), reload your latest backup (assuming you have one), and go about your business.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

For those of you who didn't catch the end of this saga... The result is that it was prank. Mike was redesigning the site, and amber thought it'd be funny if instead of just taking the site down, he did the fake "hack" thing instead. Yes, I knew about it in advance, which is why I was rather unresponsive to these complaints. As I told Amber, 'tis a good thing I didn't have to answer any of this (or the emails I recieved) face to face, as I couldn't keep a straight look on mine!

Anyway, no harm done, and I hope no one's too angry for being jerked around a bit.

Maverick

I think it got everyone a bit upset since about 10 days ago Xepher was hacked...so people are probably gonna laugh and forget or be QUITE a bit edgy. O.o

Xepher

Yeah, I felt the same way, but Amber thought it would be funny... and it was her site, so I agreed to go along with it.

taspacecampjh

*rolls eyes* thats a new ebil for her...
Alright as orders from my Lt. and mostly doing this by my own good will I appoligise for and trouble I have stirred here on this Faulse alarm.
nice joke but maybe a lil past mean but im starting to laugh about it.

Databits

But remember, joke or not, what I said still stands true. In terms of site security you should never save your passwords. Nor should you share your passwords with others for things like shared webspace (unless you really know the person and even then there is some risk)

Also, keep backups. Even if this was a false alarm, you cannot always rely on your webhost(s) to have completely updated backups of your site or its information. Make sure that you have backups of your own, esspecially if you have just done a major update. Better safe than sorry, and it saves a ton of work if something like the recent "hacked" incident occures.

You can also get really creative and set up a system that does things like an auto backup of your database data to an offsite location (like a home server set up to do automatic backups).
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Quote from: taspacecampjh*rolls eyes* thats a new ebil for her...
Alright as orders from my Lt. and mostly doing this by my own good will I appoligise for and trouble I have stirred here on this Faulse alarm.
No need to apologize. Amber did warn me in advance and ask me to play along. I'm actually glad to see others are trying to be good samaritans when they see a problem. Had this been a real incident, letting me know that quickly could've saved further data loss, and maybe even let me find out who/what was behind it. I do think it was a bit "ebil" of her to do to ya'll though, and I hope this joke doesn't prevent you from being alert and helpful in the future.