News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

---

Started by bloodyrosegun, January 26, 2008, 08:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloodyrosegun

ooooo

tickyhead

Hoo boy, where to start...

Okay, first thing. If you had checked around a little bit, you would have noticed that here at xepher.net, Xeph doesn't look too kindly on "plans." You can "plan" to make a website or update a comic all you want, but planning and doing are two entirely different things. Xepher has said before (I know it has to be somewhere around here...) that he's not interested in any planned things for the future unless you can prove that you're reliable, and won't just give up after a few pages. In fact, the minute you said "I plan to..." you were pretty much doomed.

Secondly, you do realize that you have to, at the very least, know how to use HTML to have a website here, right? Because neither your smackjeeves nor DA account show any knowledge of said web-coding language.

On the DA note, extra points taken off for TyPiNg LiKe ThIs in your username.

As for actual art content on your account, everything....well, almost everything anyway, seems to be the coloring of someone else's line drawings. This is mostly formality, but did you actually get permission from the original artists to color and post their lineart? You say on your ID that you hate art thieves....yet very little of the art on your page is wholly your own. What little seems to be your own work (most of which is actually in your scraps, away from the eyes of the casual browser, I've noticed) is...a little lacking for my tastes. There seems to be no flare or surprise to it, for me.

Now, the "manga plan" in question.

There are three pages. One is simply a bunch of overly pixelated splatters on a black background. One shows an eye, a profile sketch, and a window. And one is a CGed picture of a person with no mouth. Is the non-mouth significant in some way? If this person is, indeed, living in medieval times, then where did she get the crazy hairdo and what seems to be a Japanese kimono?

The story you've decided to go with seems to be conflicting with this colored picture in question. For one, in medieval times, I'm fairly sure no one was all that interested in Japanese clothing, nor did they wear it. Unless they were actually Japanese, in which case they would never think of giving their children names that were unpronounceable in their own language, and they surely did not have bright red hair, regardless of what hair colors the characters of such "classics" as Naruto have. Maybe I'm just nitpicking here, but it seems that there are major conflicts within your story that have nothing to do with angst or romance.

As for the story itself, it doesn't seem to be pushing any new boundaries, and the main character sounds just a wee bit like just another generic Mary-Sue. But, seeing as there are only three pages so far, I can't actually tell what she, or any of the other characters that might pop up, are really like.

All in all, I'd say stick with smackjeeves for now. If, say, six months from now you're still hard at work on your beloved manga, then maybe you could try here again. Maybe.

Of course, if this review has hurt your feelings in any way, don't take it personal. I'm a horrible, bitter college student, after all.

Just remember; I'm not reviewing you, just your application.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

bloodyrosegun

Thank you very much for being straight with me :D

I haven't finished reading the reply yet, I got to the part where you mentioned asking for permission to color other's arts. I asked every artist if I could [color their arts] and credited all of them in my artist comments.

tickyhead

Quote from: bloodyrosegun on January 26, 2008, 10:45:21 PM
Thank you very much for being straight with me :D

I haven't finished reading the reply yet, I got to the part where you mentioned asking for permission to color other's arts. I asked every artist if I could [color their arts] and credited all of them in my artist comments.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, then, and for being so receptive to my rants. Too often I've seen applicants fly off into a whirl of insults when someone doesn't say exactly what they want to hear...you are indeed a breath of fresh air.

The rest of my post still stands, however.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

bloodyrosegun

Well, I appreciate your honesty.
I think I am going to complete 15 pages, post them, and create a different account on dA (I was already thinking of doing this). I am not sure if this will be enough, but I will see how it's going when I do these things. :D

dragyn

Well, you'll still have to learn at least basic HTML...or get someone to do the HTML for you (not recommended)...

Of course, now that I've posted this, you'll probably never see it...

bloodyrosegun

ha. I did see it.

I would probably end up getting a friend to do it for me. D:

Databits

Or, the third option that dragyn didn't mention, is you could hire a professional to make it, though depending on what the goal is that could be more costly than a friend, especially for a comic site. :P
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

dragyn

Databits, of course, is one of those professionals...

Databits

Databits, of course, is also too damn busy to take up any other projects at the time too.  :P
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

dragyn

Regardless, Databits never fails to mention that his profession exists, as though he fears everyone will forget if he doesn't.

Say, why are we always referencing Databits in the third person?

bloodyrosegun

Ha ha ha... third person... ha.