News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Domain allocation?

Started by Jinxville, March 14, 2008, 11:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxville

Not sure exactly where to post this, but this forum looks good. I'm finally making the switch from Dreamhost to Xepher, so I'd like "jinxville.com" set as my domain for my account, "jinxville.xepher.net." Also, any idea how long before I can notify GoDaddy about the nameservers? I've never switched hosting before. Fesworks has been very helpful on the subject, but I'm nervous about downtime disrupting my (very meager) traffic flow.

Thanks in advance!

Xepher

Soon as I get it setup on this end, you can transition the nameservers. Those changes supposedly take 24-48 hours, but in reality I usually see them hit within the hour. Assuming you have the same site mirrored at both locations, the actual transition would be seamless to users. A user would be sent to the old site, then whenever the change makes it to their server, the next page they view would be sent here. They wouldn't notice a thing.

On that note, I've set up things at this end, so go ahead and set the nameservers to ns1.xepher.net and ns2.xepher.net whenever you're ready.

Jinxville

Coooollll. Thanks! I'll finish getting this set up, and I'll let you know if I have any problem on this end, which I doubt I will.

fesworks

Could you add www.psiwebcomic.com to my fesworks account pwease?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

I think it's done... I did it a new way this time, so lemme know if you have problems.

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

tapewolf

Okay, I think I'm ready to switch the domain now.  Is there any chance you could tie 'project-future.org' (also 'www.project-future.org') to project-future.xepher.net?

Cheers,

"The main difficulty is getting [Qa'Dar] out of his cage.
Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Xepher

No problem. *.project-future.org actually gets tied in. I've set up everything on this end, so you just need to set the DNS servers for your domain to "ns1.xepher.net" and "ns2.xepher.net" and once that propagates, everything should be good to go.

fesworks

It's when you get several domain names, and you want to redirect them to a bunch of different directories... is when you can run into troubles... especially if you are running ComicPress :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

tapewolf

Quote from: Xepher on January 26, 2009, 08:07:21 PM
No problem. *.project-future.org actually gets tied in. I've set up everything on this end, so you just need to set the DNS servers for your domain to "ns1.xepher.net" and "ns2.xepher.net" and once that propagates, everything should be good to go.

Done... I guess it's a matter of sitting back and waiting for it to propagate.
Thanks very much.

Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

tapewolf

Hi, is there any chance projectfuturecomic.com could also be added?

Xepher

Done! Switch the nameservers and it should be ready to go.

tapewolf

Quote from: Xepher on October 23, 2011, 04:07:11 AM
Done! Switch the nameservers and it should be ready to go.

Much obliged.  I set the nameservers up some time ago actually, but kept forgetting to ask.

Xepher

Actually, it does not appear that you have. They're still set to ukdnsservers.co.uk See here: http://intodns.com/projectfuturecomic.com none of the info is the same as http://www.intodns.com/project-future.org

tapewolf

That is interesting.  I was sure I had - evidently it was working through luck rather than judgement.