News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Wikis

Started by fesworks, March 17, 2008, 08:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

Is it possible to run a Wikiserver on a Xepher account?

I mean, understandably if only with preassigned logins being able to have access to making edits.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Well, the topic hasn't come up, and there's not really a requirement of "preassigned logins" even. Really, I'd just expect some basic, captcha-like bot protection and then it should be fine. Obviously I'd expect you to stay on top of things and watch out for abuses, blocking/banning bots/users as was needed, but that's just a good idea no matter what. So yeah, go for it. If you run into xepher.net-specific problems or workarounds you have to do, maybe post and let others know what's needed in case they try to set one up later.

fesworks

Well, I kinda wanted to run one as a test... mostly for information logging with only a 2-3 registered users, and disable "public" edits and new accounts.

Of course, I have a feeling that the Wiki code might be a bit complex and could take a while for me to decifer... longer that it took me to trial and error my way to get The Webcomic Beacon's Wordpress going the way I wanted anyway.

My goal is to try and create a Wiki to convince a certain someone to convert his archiving site to one. So really its a learning experience I guess, since you'd need a server running the scripts in order to learn how it is working.

... I think so anyway.

No I just gotta find the correct "Wiki Server" site to download the material.

Here's a list of some: http://tavi.sourceforge.net/WikiEngines

Of course I'm not sure what I'd be getting into. I was hoping to find a wikipedia type code where I can easily take the existing/base code and modify things in a few areas and then later work on fleshing out design. Not sure which server code set they use yet... maybe it's all the same, just written differently? Well, I supposed I'll find out soon enough once I start working with this stuff.

Unless anyone happens to know more, I'll just slowly work on this myself. I'm sure this will be a long term learning process.

I'll let people know how it goes once I start messing with it. (then again, it could end up being much simpler than I am figuring it will be).

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

I think most of the wiki packages just install with a default layout, and then you use the whole "wiki" part of things to actually create the pages. Wikipedia (and related projects) use the mediawiki software, which can be found at http://www.mediawiki.org/

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com