News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Nightwolf Art (Application)

Started by dcabind, March 21, 2008, 02:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcabind

My nickname: dcabind

Hopeful website username: nightwolfart

Email: danielscabindesignsATciaccess.com

Site description: Nightwolf Art will be a place to showcase my incredimail letters signature tags IM sounds
and other visuals created by PSP 8 & Animation Shop

Attempting to convince you
I am relatively new to Incredimail design I learned the ropes from my mentor Carol Dunn. I asked my dad to buy me IM Letter Creator. I have been dabbling in PSP for the past 4 years and I am completely self-taught on HTML
Examples of sites I have done: http://theportal.atspace.org http://noelmarentette.atspace.com The second is a site I did for a local country singer. An example of a sig tag I created

A Little about Me:
I am 27 and I live in Ontario Canada. I work part time as a Scullery Technician at Boston Pizza. A Scullery Technician is the person who is responsible for cleaning and maintaining the supply of dishes. When not manning the dishwasher
I love to play Bowling, Baseball, play computer games and of course Dabble with PSP 8 & Animation Shop.

I look forward to getting to know you.

Daniel Swan
Nightwolf Art

PS If you want If accepted I will show my gratitude by displaying a graphic on my index page that states "Hosted by Xepher" My mother always told me "Credit Is Given Where Credit Is Due"

tickyhead

I'll make this quick since I have to run to get ready for class.

Your web design won't be winning any awards for originality, but it proves you can at least make a site.

However, we'll also be needing more examples of your artwork and animations, I think. So far it's the funny little picture and whatever can be found on your sites, which mostly look like clip art. No offense if it's your actual work.

That's all.

Oh, yeah, and no need to worry about a "button." Xepher.net comes with its own webring/link exchange thing.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

dcabind

No offense taken I actually encourage constructive criticism. I will admit my web design isn't as professional looking as some of the sites I've looked at here but my attitude is if the people I create them for like them then I do to. Everything I know about HTML was obtained through trial & error.

As for my art I have set up a little presentation on my ISP's server so that you can get an Idea
as to my abilities.Right now there are 2 sections of art one featuring the art of Penny Parker and the other containing letters I did myself. I must point out that you need Incredimail to view the
letters you can get a free copy at http://www.incredimail.com

I will be adding more as time permits like I said in my first post I have a part time job at Boston Pizza when I am not working I'm usually creating something with PSP. I hope Class went well today and I'll talk to you soon

Daniel Swan
Nightwolf Art

URL For Presentation: http://www.ciaccess.com/~danielscabindesigns/

tickyhead

Mmkay, first off: it's generally a bad sign if you have to actually install a strange, unknown software in order to view an applicant's work. Just saying.

That being said, your offerings are extremely lacking. Every single one uses stock images that you had no hand in creating, and are little more than boring text effects and glaring backgrounds. I really don't see anything artistic, or even remotely creative, in any of it. Again, no offense.

So I now have to question: Were you, in fact, the person who drew that first picture on your application? Or did you simply add the cheesy border and text? Do you have any actual "art" that involved your own creativity stashed somewhere deep in the confines of your hard drive, or is it all just clip art and cheap effects?

I would direct you to a few select copyright laws, most pertaining to giving credit where credit is actually due, but I'm willing to give you a chance if you have something that is genuinely yours, and yours alone, to show to us.

dcabind

Quote from: tickyhead on March 23, 2008, 07:30:59 PM
Mmkay, first off: it's generally a bad sign if you have to actually install a strange, unknown software in order to view an applicant's work. Just saying.

That being said, your offerings are extremely lacking. Every single one uses stock images that you had no hand in creating, and are little more than boring text effects and glaring backgrounds. I really don't see anything artistic, or even remotely creative, in any of it. Again, no offense.

So I now have to question: Were you, in fact, the person who drew that first picture on your application? Or did you simply add the cheesy border and text? Do you have any actual "art" that involved your own creativity stashed somewhere deep in the confines of your hard drive, or is it all just clip art and cheap effects?

I would direct you to a few select copyright laws, most pertaining to giving credit where credit is actually due, but I'm willing to give you a chance if you have something that is genuinely yours, and yours alone, to show to us.

I have had a little change of heart as far as what I am going to create. Sig Tags are staying but I am not creating IM letters anymore as not everyone uses IM I am now drawing my attention to Linkware and other goodies.
About what you said regarding creativity, I got permission from Penny to use her artwork. But you raised a very valid concern about credit so I took that to heart when I designed phase II of my site. all of the graphics & buttons were created in Paint Shop Pro 8 by me. the top 3 on the linkware sets page were created by me the bottom 3 are based on Penny's artwork
I hope that this is what you had in mind and by all means if there is a sig tag you want on there snag away they are freeware. Everything on my site is the linkware only requires a link back I find that is a general practice in use by a lot of the great graphic sites out there. The URL is the same but I'll post it again in case anybody forgot it:

http://www.ciaccess.com/~danielscabindesigns/

Oh & In case this is the one I am buying a Domain name this Tuesday and I am wondering what you would do to point
it to Xepher's servers.

I am slowly learning the ropes of all Paint Shop has to offer if there are any Xepherites who want to learn how to use
It I would Highly Recommend http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PaintShop101/ a group which is run by my good friend Cathleen

tickyhead

I think you aren't exactly comprehending what I'm saying.

Unless you have personally shot or created every graphic on your site that you are claiming is "your art", then you are stealing someone else's work. Case in point: the picture of an angry looking cow and the cartoon with the dogs. I am asking you if you made the actual pictures by yourself, by hand, in PSP, painting in every single line, every single color. Even if they are the artwork of this "Penny" person, unless you state it somewhere on the actual website, it still counts as claiming someone else's work as your own. For someone who claims "give credit where credit is due," you seem to know little about actual copyright "etiquette."

Not only that, but even though you are still new at PSP, your skills are incredibly lacking compared to the usual caliber on this website. You have squished pictures, grainy and pixelated borders, cheap effects, and not much in the way of talent in my opinion. It seems like all you're really doing is slapping on a few pre-made effects from PSP onto someone else's pictures and calling it your own "art."

I'm going to put my vote as a big fat "no" here. Come back when you have something that the internet genuinely needs to see, not cheap effects from PSP used...well, cheaply. There's already thousands of people doing exactly what you are now, be they on geocities or in some other back-alley of the interwebs; what makes you so different?

griever

I'll have to agree with Ticky on every single point he said.  I realize that people have to start somewhere and that not everyone takes to graphic design instantly (or in my case, not at all), but I think the service you've got now works just fine for what you're offering.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Well, the harsh stuff I didn't want to have to say has already been said, (handy when people do the hard bit for you :-) ) so I'll just finalize it and say this one is rejected. Sorry!

salman22

Xepher

Hmm... smells like spambot. Tell me you aren't one so I don't delete your account and ban you.

fesworks

Quote from: Xepher on May 25, 2008, 08:42:06 PM
Hmm... smells like spambot. Tell me you aren't one so I don't delete your account and ban you.

hmmm, smells like Salmon to me.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com