News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Which web design software?

Started by JM, April 10, 2008, 04:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JM

Wow, I didn't know that Adobe now owns Dreamweaver.  :o

Anyhow, I'm getting back into the web design thing, so I'm trying to figure out which new software to get!

I've been leaning towards Dreamweaver CS3, since I know enough to be comfortable with it, but I've been wondering about Adobe Web Design CS3?

Anyone got the Adobe Web Design software? Reviews, please. =]

Some side notes on what my web-design preferences are:
- Not into using Flash.
- Lots of picture posting.
- Enable interaction between web host and visitors (commenting, etc.)

...or maybe I should just go back to writing everything in Notepad, like the old days, heh.

tickyhead

If you know how to code, good ol' notepad works just fine.

I myself use AceHTML simply because it color-codes everything, and I make typos fairly often so it's good to know what's what. (plus it's free... >> )

But theoretically, notepad is all you need.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

fesworks

FrontPage Express is all I need.

I don't remember if it comes with XP, or if you need to get office or whatnot, but I like being able to Preview and Edit in the way it offers without looking complicated and busy like DreamWeaver. I used to code in Notepad, but I really found it a pain in the butt..

also, I really don't know much beyond it. Any fancy code I use comes from me searching for it specifically online.... or by copying an existing code for a page and "Trial and Error" modding it... particularly with Blog codes. Takes me forever to figure what the heck does what.

And since I don't know how to really properly code much: TABLES FOR THE WIN!!!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

I code most stuff by hand... aka "notepad" (though really I use Scite or another syntax highlighting text editor.) If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll resort to something like the Mozilla Composer (now part of SeaMonkey) which does all the basic/quick WYSIWYG stuff. I just can't justify paying for Adobe CS products, nice as they are, they don't do THAT much more than simple/free software and a little bit of ingenuity.

If you're looking to run a regularly updating site with common types of content, server-side blog (or comic, or gallery) software is probably what you want. Most include a decent little in-webpage editor for posting stuff from any computer, with no need to buy software.

JM

Quote from: Xepher on April 11, 2008, 02:33:56 AM
I code most stuff by hand... aka "notepad" (though really I use Scite or another syntax highlighting text editor.) If I'm feeling really lazy, I'll resort to something like the Mozilla Composer (now part of SeaMonkey) which does all the basic/quick WYSIWYG stuff. I just can't justify paying for Adobe CS products, nice as they are, they don't do THAT much more than simple/free software and a little bit of ingenuity.

If you're looking to run a regularly updating site with common types of content, server-side blog (or comic, or gallery) software is probably what you want. Most include a decent little in-webpage editor for posting stuff from any computer, with no need to buy software.

Any suggestions on what kind of coding to use? I heard good things about WordPress.

griever

I like Dreamweaver but it's just one of many options.  I find it saves me time and typing over Notepad but I don't rely entirely on the WYSIWYG editor.  It's just an easy starting point and then you can go into the code and clean things up there.

WordPress is nice but if you're looking to make templates and web design offerings, it's really bulky, IMHO.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)