News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Unexpected Downtime

Started by Xepher, April 11, 2008, 09:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

The datacenter that houses Arclight (the xepher.net server) went down for several hours early this morning. It seems to be back up now, but it was up and down quite a bit, so I'm not counting any chickens before they're hatched. Anyway, not much I can do about it... I noted that uptime had gone from 43 days to 15 minutes a few hours ago, then I lost all contact with the system. Finally got a support request through and got the server restored, but it's back to 10 minutes uptime. I think they had some fairly major problems they're not really wanting to tell us about. Either that, or just "coincidentally" the xepher.net server went down twice in 4 hours, with a report from the datacenter of a "brief outage" right in the middle of that timeframe. Considering the server didn't even go completely down when a hard drive failed, I think it's much more likely their power grid reset a few times tonight and they just don't want to admit it.

Anyway, shouldn't be a big deal, just letting everyone know why things were unavailable for a few hours.

Xepher

Just mentioning this here so as not to waste a new thread, but... did anyone notice some "server not found" earlier today? I couldn't connect to xepher.net for a few hours, but I could connect to my parent's computer, and it could connect to xepher.net just fine. I traced it to a routing issue between nlayer.net and the datacenter. Definitely would've affected anyone routing from Texas via RoadRunner (Time Warner Cable) service I think, but I'm wondering if anyone else had problems.

fesworks

I didn't notice anything, but I was at work too :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com