News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Skinning a website: the basics!

Started by Miluette, June 19, 2008, 10:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miluette

I've been asking a lot lately. My mind is always here-and-there. I try only to ask after I've exhausted my searches! Thus comes this query!

I've been wondering how one goes about skinning a website. I'm not even sure how to start, which is why my searches turn up dry, I suppose. What am I searching for? Is it some really advanced CSS-manipulating code that I don't want to learn? Or is it, perhaps, so simple that it's surprising I still don't know it?

Help a girl out! Please.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Xepher

You're gonna need to be more specific with your question. "Skins" or themes, generally apply to specific script packages or programs. Like this forum software, it's designed to let me easily add new themes and change between them. That's only easy though, because the entire design was coded from the ground up with that in mind. Most blog packages, like wordpress and the like, have similar functionality. If it's a website you're writing yourself, then its up to you whether it's skinnable or not, and to what extent. That can be as simple as having a PHP-generated stylesheet where "background-color: $COLOR" and letting people switch it via links like "<a href=thispage.php?COLOR=red>" or it can get as advanced as coding your entire site to use a template engine like Smarty.

Miluette

The PHP thing you mentioned is exactly what I'd like to do.
I don't need anything extensive, just swapping of background images and colors. <3

Miluette

For the record, I found two things closest to what I need here: http://www.digital-web.com/articles/generating_dynamic_css_with_php/

And here: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

I'm going to be trying the second one with one of my sites soon. It's oh-so convenient!

Xepher

Cool... that's gonna mostly be similar to the PHP thing I mentioned, save that it uses javascript to switch styles.