News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

'Unwanted' by Sheera

Started by Sheera, June 10, 2008, 01:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheera

Yeah, a few other opinions would be nice.

Xepher

Don't worry, if no one responds, that's not going to affect the eventual outcome. As I said, I'm leaning towards a yes. I've just been busy lately, as I'm applying for a new job, doing interviews, and all the related headache. As such, I'm a little slow on this, and I figured it wouldn't hurt to give people a few days to respond either. I'll try and get to this over the weekend with a final decision.

Sheera

kk. It's just that I'm myself a bit surprised that no other opinions were mentioned here. ^^

As for the final decision: You might as well take the whole next week for that since I'm without internet for that time anyways. ; ) Plus, I'm (honestly) a bit scared of the idea of really pulling it through, but since I started it anyway I'll just try and give my best. I guess that's how everyone who starts something like this thinks at the beginning. No biggie. ^^;

So, take your time with the decision, that way I have a little bit more time to finish the scripting and the buttons.

griever

I feel hypocritical because I'm not a comic artist...but here is my opinion.

My guess is that you're trying to include the entire song (which I'm unfamiliar with), which may have great meaning to the plot/character, but I really think it's dragging the comic down.  At this moment, I can't say I'm really drawn into it, even though I have a bias for things set in a feudal Japan universe.  Like Xepher said, it's a matter of artistic choice but I don't feel like I'm reading a comic book at all.  I feel more like I'm watching a frame-by-frame of an anime opening sequence.  Sorry. :(
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Desh

I admit, I've been putting off reading all the pages because most were over 500kb.  Pngs are good for quality,  but for most of those sketches even 100% quality jpgs would be smaller.  This doesn't really have much to do with your comic though, I'm just picky ^^;

The art's pretty good.  You've got a nice variety of angles and poses with simple, yet expressive lines.  You also specifically spiced up some repeated images by using different angles.  That's all really important when you're drawing panel after panel, page after page.

I'm not so sure about this being a comic's beginning though.  It really follows the song which sadly causes a lot of single panel pages and some repetition.  Neither are too great for grabbing and holding someone's interest :(

It's not a terrible problem, just hard to fairly judge because this is a stylized opening.  Overall, I think you'll be able to do well.

reinder

Off-topic: Xepher, you should get yourself some Hedningarna. Especially their 1994 album Tra.
Reinder Dijkhuis
Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan | Waffle

Xepher

Quote from: reinder on August 02, 2008, 10:03:36 AM
Off-topic: Xepher, you should get yourself some Hedningarna. Especially their 1994 album Tra.

Done!

Xepher

Haven't forgotten this one... real life's just be rather busy lately, and I've hardly been online at all this week. Heck, I haven't even read webcomics since monday! :-)

Xepher

Alright, I'm approving this one. I just want to hear from you here to know you're still around.

Also: you seemed unsure about the username thing before. Remember that your username is part of your URL, so if you pick "sheera" it's gonna be "http://sheera.xepher.net/" Is that still the username you want?

Sheera

Hello there!

Yes, I'm still around. It's just that our internet connection decided to crash and I wasn't able to do anything about it since I was on vacation and bleh. : P It works now, so everything should be fine.

As for the username: I think the comic's title would be more appropriate. So I'll go for http://unwanted.xepher.net/.

I managed to get some comics drawn over my vacation so I'll just have to ink them and then the intro is done. Now I'll just have to finish the coding of the page. I went for plain html, maybe that will change later on but for the moment it's allright.

Thank you for giving me the webspace, Xepher, I'll try to have the page up asap. ^^

Xepher

Sorry, I forgot to post here... but this one's been approved (several days ago in fact) and I sent an email, but forgot to actually post. If you haven't gotten the email, let me know.

Sheera

Thank you very much, Xepher. ^^

My site is now officially opened and I invite everyone who wants to to come over and have a look. I hope to be able to change some of the buttons sometime, but the general layout will stay. Also my first real update will be on monday, and it will be inked. ;D