News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Victory Over The Sucky Firefox 3 Address Bar!

Started by Xepher, July 03, 2008, 09:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otrstf

My firefox is a were-redpanda! While I chug along on my home boxen, upgrading as each new release comes out, everything has been great.

My work box (a 3-year old Dell) has it's applications installed/patched remotely by our IMO shop. On last monday, FF was broke!! By wendsday, they had installed a bright, shiny new 3.0 version. Overnight, it xformed to 2.0.0.16.., then the following night was back to 3.0. This morning, it is 2.0.0.15!  Clearly affected by the moon.

Digging into the logfiles, I discover that each morning _and_ evening, the IMO folks are uninstalling and re-installed each version.

I just howled...

Databits

(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Yeah, that's... if nothing else, a huge waste of time and resources. Day and night shifts probably have differing opinions about which version is best. :-)

Databits

Psh, run both... oi! Granted you can't run them at the exact same time, but you can still install them both at once and use whatever one you want to.

I stand by the idiots remark.  ;)
(o.O)    

Miluette

I just installed all these wonderful new Firefox add-ons the other day. Too bad they lag my computer like hell. e_e I can't even tell which ones are doing it...

I don't get it. Why does it require so much of my computer?!

It doesn't affect my powerbook as much (I installed all the same add-ons on it), but it has more RAM, so...
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Databits

(o.O)    

Miluette

Whoa... I was just wondering if such a browser existed. Thanks, Google! (Too bad I think the name is silly. Oh well, what's in a name?)

tickyhead

Wow, Chrome sure is different...but in a good way, I suppose.

It's certainly a more streamlined view, it's like you're constantly in f11 mode. I wonder what would happen if I...

Nothing. That was uneventful.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Miluette

Databits

It has other nice features too. Ever had those web pages that bring down your browser? Well Chrome actually runs each tab in its own process, so when one crashes the entire browser doesn't go with it. If you also notice, the search bar at the top actually, well searches as you type (using Google of course).
(o.O)    

Miluette

I just installed it today (I found out my firewall was blocking the installer)... Pretty nice. I like having a browser without all the crap. Also, one that doesn't kill my websites.

Databits

Thing is, FireFox has a whole crap ton of addons that neither IE8 or Chrome have, which still makes it rather superior for a great many things.
(o.O)    

Miluette

Whoa... there's an IE8?
I'm behind the times! ...Oh, I see, it's in beta. %D

I like my new Firefox addons, even if they do make things laggy. ;x; <3

Databits

Yeah, beta. But IE8 is a hell of an improvement over it's predecessors. It's actually got REAL javascript debugging tools now!
(o.O)    

Miluette

Oh man. I don't really get why Google Chrome doesn't show new tabs as a blank page after I set it that way... or why it has a heart attack and freezes/lags my computer when I try to upload via photobucket. Or why input/radio buttons don't show up. lol.