News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Bah! (Overnight Glitch)

Started by Xepher, September 26, 2005, 03:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

So, I upgraded some software on the server last night for a "minor security fix" Of course, the slightly newer version completely changed the layout of all config files. I complained about this in another thread already, but bottom line is I had to rewrite most of the webserver config from scratch. I think I got it all working, but I could've missed a bit of stuff here and there.

Then I wake up this morning, and all sorts of weird errors are cropping up. Took me 30 minutes to figure out what was even going on. It looked like permission problems or some such. But no, all that was fine. Turns out the root partition was full, as this month's traffic has been quite high, and the log file is well over 2 gigabytes in size.

Before you ask, no, deleting stuff you don't need won't help. The home/user directories are on a seperate partition. What helped, was that I had to go delete a whole lot of junk left from software builds, old logs, and various other cruft. We should be good now, and I apologize for the trouble.

cyyeun

Hi Xepher,

I think the glitch broke the Gallery. When I click on the links, it bring me to the "not found" page. Other sites' gallery I checked have the same problem as well.

Also, I can't seem to access the site with the address like http://xepher.net/~xxxxx
Cyyeun is here!

Xepher

Xepher

Fixed... missed a bit of config somewhere.

Databits

I understand now. It makes perfect sense, partitions on Linux are handled a bit differently than windows. Seems like partitions under linux are more like just having multiple quota set directories in windows which allow access depending on the users access level.

Am I close?
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

No, not exactly. They're really seperate partitions, but instead of saying each one is a "drive" (like C: D: E: etc.) you end up mounting each physical device or partition as a directory in the main filesystem. So that while root (/) is on one drive... under that is /home/ which is on a different disk/partition.

Xepher

New thing I just noticed... email=broken. Working on it.

thefemnazi

"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Xepher

Email fixed. Don't worry, I know of lot of you suddenly had empty inboxes, but no mail was lost. Just a bunch of symlinks got rewritten because some stupid program decided it knew better than I did how to "secure" things. Anyway, I hacked the code for it so it would give up trying that in the future.

POWER TO THE PROLETARIAT!

What?
Who said that? :-P

Databits

Ahh ok, I get it now. I'm more used to things being mounted to drive letters not folders.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]