News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

I Can Haz Job!

Started by Xepher, August 18, 2008, 10:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Sorry, couldn't resist the lolcats-speak. But yes, I've recently been hired to a new job. I'll be a level 2 linux system administrator for a company called Rackspace. I'll be working the night shift, 10pm to 9am (CST), 4 days a week. I actually prefer the night shift, and the 4-day work week is a major bonus to me as well. The job starts next Monday, August 25th. This shouldn't really impact xepher.net in any big way, save that I'll be unavailable for that 11 hour chunk of time while at work. The upside is that I'll be getting a real paycheck again, and the expense of running Xepher.net out of my own pocket won't be as painful anymore.

I'm really pretty excited about the job. I'll be doing almost exactly the sort of stuff I do for xepher.net, but getting paid for it. The company looks to be pretty awesome as well, having been ranked as one of the best places to work in IT by several magazines (like ComputerWorld, Fortune, etc.) Touring their offices, I saw people with giant pirate flags over their work areas, arcade machines mixed among the desks, break areas with 360s and PS3s hooked up to plasma TVs, ice cream vending machines... all sorts of really cool stuff. I get a pretty good benefits package as well, and it'll be nice working with other nerds again. Heck, during my last interview, one of the guys actually asked me if I preferred Dilbert or XKCD. XKCD! I like to think that's the thing that got me the job, but really, it's just a really promising sign about personality types... especially compared to my last place of work, where no one in the entire office had even HEARD of Zelda, much less read XKCD.

The spectral wolf fears only fire! :-P

griever

Congratulations!  That's awesome.  I wish my group believed in fun, relaxing rest spaces but all they have a smoking room. x.x
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Databits

Congrats!

My favorite one to date was:

make me a sandwich
what? make it yourself
sudo make me a sandwich
okay
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

tickyhead

Congratulations Xeph, the new job sounds like it's situated pretty close to heaven. It's stuff like this that makes me question if I really want to major in that artsy crap...

If only my job had an arcade, or at least a pirate flag or two! All I get is a bunch of menopausal women with mild paranoia.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

JM

Miluette

Dilbert or XKCD... LOL.

That's fantastic, Xepher. XD
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

otrstf

congratulations! I'll have to put  a pirate flag on my dayshift opposite's desktop in celebration (I'm in the middle of 2 weeks of working nights, and we're having a "find the best wallpaper for the linux box" contest)

Xepher

(Thread Necromancy FTW!)

I can haz NEW job!

I just accepted an offer from cPanel here in Houston. They make control panel software used by a good chunk of webhosting companies worldwide. While I am, once again, starting in a customer support role, this should involve a lot less phone work, and also (hopefully) a career track more into the software development side of things. Ideally, that should keep things a lot more interesting, as development is the one of the few corners of IT I haven't tried my hand at professionally. At the very least though, I'm just happy to be getting a paycheck again for the first time in more than 13 months. So YAY!

otrstf

Yay, indeed!  if I knew what control panel software did, I'd be sure to call customer support just to help out :)

ps: The never-ending roadtrip has me in Bremerton, WA this time. Ended the Hawaii extravaganza with a cold and bronchitis, so naturally they sent me where it rains.  My new motto: "Home before the leaves freeze to the driveway." Pictures to follow.