News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

The inkblot

Started by gordon.tian, August 19, 2008, 06:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordon.tian

Gordon Tian
Desired username: inkblot.xepher.net
contact at Gordon (DOT) tian2008 (AT) gmail (DOT) com

My old webhost is a broken piece of junk. Under them, half the site will not work. I got wind from a friend that you guys are the best at what you do, so here I go.

I'm Gordon Tian, and my website is currently located at inkblot(DOT)aokhost(DOT)com. I have worked on many flash games, websites, and animations that have been published on various websites with consistently good reviews. I'm currently making money as an indie game designer/creator and an artist for hire.  Wanting to share my domain is Lulu Liu, an artist who has won several awards for her work in the past and is currently regularly creating art she wishes to put up on the net. See her far superior and incredibly larger gallery (I'm blaming aokhost) at http://b-funk.deviantart.com/ .We'll be collaborating on several projects in the future, so we decided that it would be best if we stuck all of our material in one place.

Thanks for reading,
Gordon

Xepher

Okay, I'm completely split on this one. The inkblot site you link... that's, well, "worthless" for lack of a better word. Near as I can figure, it's some middle school flash project. The only "art" I could find trying to navigate it was "epoophony" or something. Which seemed to be just a bad sketch of a guy sitting at a desk... then lots of REALLY OBNOXIOUS SCREAMING.

However, b-funk on DA seems to have some of the best art I've seen in a long while. I know you say you'll be collaborating, but considering the vast discrepancy in quality, I'd kinda need to know who's gonna be doing what, and what the intention of the website would be. Is this going to be a gallery for her art, and you'll just be making a web UI for it? Or is it really your art space, and she'll co-op on a few artworks?

I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but there really is a huge difference between ya'll.

griever

What kinds of projects will you be collaborating on? 
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

gordon.tian

Yeah, aokhost doesnt support PHP, so the vast majority of my gallery is inaccessible. My site is pretty much broken, which is why I'm requesting help from you guys.

As for the collaboration, if it's any comfort to you, I won't be doing the art, just the code for the game we are planning.

Thanks for the reply.

gordon.tian

Here's a scrap of my work (pretty old at this point) that I was able to find floating around.

Unfinished, but all my work is on my other HD.
http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stanley1xf8.png

Xepher

Okay, that sketch is better, but doesn't really answer the question I asked.

tickyhead

I want to see the collaborator from deviant art come on here and tell us personally that they'll be involved, but that's just me. All in all I'm with Xeph on this one; your website sucks. Royally. B-funk, on the other hand, is really damn good and could probably get in on their own without any trouble. Maybe I'm just paranoid (probably), but it could be that you're simply using the name of somebody whose art looks good to keep yourself afloat. Maybe this "b-funk" doesn't even know you or xepher.net exists at all. How will we know for sure, unless they come on here themselves or, at the very least, you post something that is significant proof that you have or will be working together.

But like I said, I'm paranoid.

It would also be helpful (for yourself more than anything) if you could actually say or show what you two are collaborating on. Sure it's all well and fun to be cryptic and say there are "several projects in the future," but it doesn't help when you need a decent amount of good content to be hosted here, of which you have been found to be lacking. What are these "projects," exactly? What will you each be doing? How long will it take to finish them? If you are in fact collaborating on a game, how much disk space will it take up on the server? What will it look like, play like? What, if anything, do you wish to accomplish with it?

Ah well, I'm done with my interrogation for now. Someone play good-cop for me, will ya?
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

griever

Agreed with tickyhead.   (Sorry, I can't be the good cop here.)

Since you've worked on many flash games, websites, and animations that have gotten good reviews and are/were published on other sites, where are they?  Forgive me if I'm being rude, but don't you have some back ups?  Or even links to the sites you've published them on?  Even if they're not in your portfolio, due to hosting limitations (and this is completely understandable), this application would be strengthened by a broader demonstration of your work.

I suppose we could just message b-funk and ask what her input on this project is.  Maybe she's got some ideas already?  Something to show us how this game will develop?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)