News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Blogger?

Started by Jinxville, August 20, 2008, 05:57:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxville

Hey, I'm gearing up to put up a whole new design for my site. This includes a new art/news blog via Blogger. I was able to do this pretty easily when I was on Dreamhost, but I know Xepher operates somewhat differently. It says it can use SFTP to post, which would probably work, right? I just want to know how to get it set up well before I start hacking the new design together.

So are there any special instructions to getting Blogger to work on Xepher?

Xepher

I've never used blogger, so I don't have any specific know-how there. However, if it says it supports SFTP then I don't see why it shouldn't work.

Jinxville

Hm, okay. I tried it with the SFTP settings, and the authorization failed, apparently. I think it may just be a password issue. With my SCP program, I don't even have to enter a password to long on -- which I've been wondering about -- so I don't know what you put in that field. Here's the info as I entered it (or as Blogger automatically entered for me in a couple of spots):

FTP Server: jinxville.xepher.net
Blog URL: http://jinxville.xepher.net/uncanny
FTP Path: jinxville.xepher.net/uncanny/
Blog Filename: index.html
Feed Filename: atom.xml

And then my username and password. The username I'm sure about. The password, not so much, as I stated above. Any ideas?

Xepher

FTP is not the same as SFTP... there is no regular FTP server here, so make sure it's actually trying SFTP/SCP.

Jinxville

Triple-checked, and yes, this is the SFTP setting.

Edit: Changed the path to "public_html/uncanny" but got the same error message.

Edit #2: Did some googling, and it looks like some people have fixed authorization errors by making sure that PasswordAuthentication was turned on in their sshd_configs. I don't really understand what that means, but maybe it'll help?

Xepher

Well, you can only change settings for SSHD if you own/run your own server, so it's not a per-user thing. It has been disabled on xepher.net, because it shouldn't be needed by most things, and having it on slightly weakens security, but after a little bit of research, I think it's safe enough. I'll go ahead and enable it, so give it another try and see if it works now.

Jinxville

Argh, still getting the same error message. What's the right thing to put in the password field. I've just been putting in my username. If I can give it a password, maybe it'll authorize.

Xepher

Well, you'd have to give it both your username AND password for it to even have a chance at connecting. Neither is gonna be optional. If you've been using the wrong thing, it's possible blogger got banned by the server security. 5 bad login attempts and it'll ban the IP for 5 hours. If you had it try a bunch of times with the wrong (or no) password, it's likely on that ban list, and you'll have to wait 5 hours to try again.

Jinxville

I know passwords aren't optional, but I don't seem to use one when I log in with my SCP program, so I have no idea what password to use. Please PM me my actual password? And no, I haven't been hitting it five times at once. Two or three failed attempts in a five hour span is plenty for me.

Xepher

Sorry if that came across as insulting or something, but you said "I've just been putting in my username." So I wanted to be clear on that.

I've emailed your password to you.

Jinxville

Thanks! I feel like an idiot for not thinking of just logging in to my account to change the password. Anyway, it totally works now, so I'm happy.