News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

"Drawing Under The Influences" comic

Started by Dui, August 20, 2008, 06:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dui

Hello folks,

Username:DUI-comic
email: kesh.duicomic@hotmail.com
basic description: Webcomic

Currently my comic is hosted on comicgenesis at http://jenkesh.comicgenesis.com (more of my art can be seen at http://jenkesh1.deviantart.com ). At first I was pretty excited about it, but their customer service is really lacking. The engine randomly displays comics in the wrong order, it will generate pages on days that it's not suppose to update. When I ask for help or what I could possibly do to correct the problem I get told, in short 'deal with it'. Which makes me not want to deal with them at all. I've been looking through other options, and think that xepher would be the best road to take in hosting.

The story of DUI is pretty complex, with enough seriousness to be considered an in depth story yet still with plenty of humor. Basically it's about a girl who not only hears the angel on her right and the devil on her left, but sees them, too. Add to that the fact that there's more than just those two, and she's the only one who can see them- and you get a very confused girl.

I would be updating on tuesdays and fridays with the strips that have already been released up in archive so there's enough to get readers interested. I've also got a buffer of twelve strips prepared, so absences and 'fillers' aren't expected.

Thanks for your time and consideration,

Jen "Kesh"

No one ever got anywhere with fear in their heart and lead in their ass!

Xepher

Looks pretty good, both the comic and the art. The plush-demon thing reminds me a lot of Reynaradine from Gunnerkrigg Court. Reading the archives so far, it seems you've got enough backstory and planning to make a good go of things.

You say you're having trouble with the comic genesis engine... While I'm certain Xepher.net is gonna be much better support/response than CG, I do want to make sure you're aware there's no "engine" of any kinda here to start with. You'd need to be able to setup/install whatever comic script(s) you plan to use, or at least be able to just manually update/manage the website. Are you gonna be comfortable doing that? There's no "wizards" or pagemaker stuff here at all.

Dui

Absolutely.

The main problem with the comic genesis engine is that there's no way to modify it, ourselves. When we ask for help we basically get told to 'just deal with it'. If they would provide an avenue to correct problems then I wouldn't be nearly so frustrated with them  :-\ .

I've got two people who build pages professionally and are certain they can get it going. I'm comfortable with minor html editing, myself, which should allow me to update the pages when necessary on my own. Besides that, seeing the community here and how nice everyone is I'm confident that if we were to need any assistance someone would at least answer our questiosn!  ;)

Dui

Also, here is some sample work from the girl who will be helping me with my site.

http://egotisticalpriest.com/

You can also check out her deviantart: http://whiskerwing.deviantart.com as she did the css for the journal portion, herself.

Please let me know if you need more. :)

dragyn

Good art, enjoyable writing, and an...interesting sense of humor.  The HTML/CSS and web-related stuff looks good, so I, at least, haven't got any reason to say no...

So, yeah, a positive vote from me.

Dui

Woot, thanks for the vote of confidence, Dragyn!

fesworks

Looks like a promising application :) Positive from me as well :)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Dui

Thanks for the positive comment, Fesworks!

Xepher

Yeah, art quality is not an issue. It's all really good from where I'm sitting. I'm leaning towards a yes on this one, but I'm busy IRL right now. Gimme another day or two and poke me if you haven't heard something by Sunday.

Sheera

It looks really nice and promising up to now. I guess I'll put you on my regular webcomic list once you got your xepher.net address. ^^

Just some advise: Sometimes the panels are overloaded with text. Maybe you could try and stretch the text onto one or two additional panels, so that it doesn't appear that stuffed anymore. But that's the only negative thing I could find.

Good work & keep on doing this.

Plushies rule! >:D

Dui

Quote from: Xepher on August 22, 2008, 02:50:38 PM
Yeah, art quality is not an issue. It's all really good from where I'm sitting. I'm leaning towards a yes on this one, but I'm busy IRL right now. Gimme another day or two and poke me if you haven't heard something by Sunday.

I'm in the process of moving, so no worries there. I probably won't be peeking in again until Monday. Take your time  :)

Dui

Quote from: Sheera on August 22, 2008, 06:26:29 PM
It looks really nice and promising up to now. I guess I'll put you on my regular webcomic list once you got your xepher.net address. ^^

Just some advise: Sometimes the panels are overloaded with text. Maybe you could try and stretch the text onto one or two additional panels, so that it doesn't appear that stuffed anymore. But that's the only negative thing I could find.

Good work & keep on doing this.

Plushies rule! >:D

I've actually had a few different people say that. The difficulty is trying to lay down the basic history so everyone has at least some understanding of what's going on without it taking weeks to get it all out   :-\ The rest of the comics are actually fairly light, only the ones that are explaining the past have heavy text.

Dui

Alrighty! I'm all moved in and set up.

I will be spending most of tomorrow working with my web designers. As a project one of them re-created the comic genesis page in his private space, http://dui.maseibert.com/ . So, at the very least, we will have exactly what we have at comic genesis now.

However, we're going to create a whole new -different- lay out over the next week or so.

Xepher

Alright, it's approved! You should have an email with login info and instructions.

Dui