News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

External Print Server

Started by JM, August 23, 2008, 07:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JM

Anyone know how to step an "External Print Server"?

My new printer didn't come with a USB cable (apparently you have to buy it seperate, dang-it) so I thought I might take the time to learn how to set up a wireless printer, if possible.

Thanks! :)

(Oh yeah, if the info is needed, my printer is an Epson Stylus C120. I have a Dell Latitude D620 laptop.)

Databits

Generally it's easier to network a printer through things like a router IF and only if it's an ethernet printer (has a RJ45 jack to plug a network cable into it and the router). In that case it's usually a matter of hooking up the printer and installing the software (on Windows anyhow, under Linux it's a *little* more work but not a hell of a lot).

HOWEVER, if the printer isn't a network printer, you can still do so if you hook it up to a single computer and "share" the printer with others on the network. The downside being that the printer will be inaccessible while that machine is powered off.

The third possiblity is to use a print server such as the ones here. But last I knew those things don't always work very well (if at all), and can get pricey depending. Always research things like this to make sure they are compatible and will actually work for your printer.

As it looks like your printer is only capable of a USB interface, the only ways you can network it is via the second or third method I explained.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]