News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Problems installing oekaki board.

Started by Jinxville, September 07, 2008, 04:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxville

First off, I hope an oekaki board is okay. Let me know if there's any limits I should put on it.

So I'm running the install for Wacintaki Poteto, an up-to-date oekaki client. I fill in the MySQL info as it says in the Xepher help section, but I get denied access. Any help? I'm probably missing something really obvious again.

Xepher

As I just noted for someone trying to install forums, there was a bug in the MySQL password changing script I wrote. First make sure you have the proper info as per the help section (I know you say you did, but double check) and then try changing your password under user services. You can change it to something, then turn around and change it back. That should force it to set the proper one in MySQL now that the script is fixed. If that still doesn't work, let me know what settings you're putting in, and the exact error message you're getting.

Jinxville

Okay, I quadruple checked the info I entered and tried the password changing thing. Still getting this error:

"ERROR: Could not connect to MySQL database with supplied information.
DB: Access denied for user 'superhappy-funti'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

I entered the info thusly:

Database Hostname: localhost   

Database Name: superhappy-funtimes

Database Username: superhappy-funti

Database Password: (my normal password)

Xepher

Okay, if you're actually read the whole of the help page...

QuoteDatabase is MySQL 5.x and each user has a database with the same name as their username, and it's accessed only via "localhost" as the server. However, your database username will be truncated to 16 characters. Thus, if you had a really long username like "superhappy-funtimes" and were trying to setup a forum, the database settings would be:

Database type: MySQL 5.x
Database server: localhost
Database name: superhappy-funtimes
Database username: superhappy-funti
Database password: mypassword (same as regular password)

Two key phrases, the first is "each user database with the same name as their username." The second is: If you had a really long username like "superhappy-funtimes"...

You're not actually supposed to use "superhappy-funtimes" you're supposed to put in YOUR username. I used that as an example for how the system truncates it to 16 characters.

fesworks

Yea, I had to do the same thing when I tried to install the "Gallery" image gallery program. :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Jinxville

Ah, well that was unnecessarily confusing. Anyway, I got the connection, but there's a shiny, new error message: "ERROR: MySQL connection successful, but cannot access database named 'superhappy-funtimes'"

Should I just try again later?

fesworks

Database name and Database user name should be the same "jinxville"

"superhappy-funtimes" was just for the example.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Databits

and this is the reason that software needs some easy installation setups. ::)

While to some people it seems somewhat obvious in terms of database connection setup, but for those less tech-oriented, it's not quite so obvious and takes a little explanation.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

fesworks

Quote from: Databits on September 18, 2008, 05:20:56 PM
and this is the reason that software needs some easy installation setups. ::)

While to some people it seems somewhat obvious in terms of database connection setup, but for those less tech-oriented, it's not quite so obvious and takes a little explanation.

Sometimes my brain will crack and I'll start drooling going "huminahhuminahhuminahhuminahhuminahhuminah..."

:P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Databits

Happens in programming too man. The other night I was working on the error handling system for our UPS/FedEx integration and just couldn't think for the life of me. Total shut down. Something that should have been stupid simple seemed impossible.

It's generally at that point that it's time to just give up and go to bed.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]