News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Google Phone!

Started by Xepher, October 24, 2008, 05:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

I'm in a parking lot... on a phone... on the INTERNET!!!

JM

Google phone? The only phone out with Android is the T-Mobile G1, right?  ???

Xepher

Yep! Got one for my upcoming trip to Ireland and the UK next week. I really wanted a portable web/email thingy, and this was *slightly* cheaper than buying a mini-laptop like an EEE PC. So far, it's pretty cool, but a lot of that is "potential" and there's a bunch of bugs in some of the things. An amusing one was the AIM client... if you login with a space or upper case letter in your username, all incoming messages will magically appear as though you're sending them to yourself, but when you reply, they actually DO go back to yourself, instead of the actual sender. And you can't just edit your login info... you have to go into some deep dark corner and delete all the data for the IM app, then you can change your login info. Seeing GPS views and Street View in google maps is really awesome though, and the browser is actually quite functional.

Databits

(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

No... and don't think I don't miss that. But if there's not an SSH app to do that by the time I get back from england, I'll be quite surprised.

sagebrush

Xepher

Going for about 12 days, leaving next sunday (11-02) and coming back 11-14. A friend of mine from college is getting married to a british girl, and I'm gonna be the best man at the wedding. On the way, I've decides to do a whirlwind tour of the british isles though, with my flight going to/from Dublin. I'm excited. :-)

Miluette

Oh maaan. That sounds nice.
One of these days I'm going to go to Ireland with my college group. They go every year.

Re: Google Phone: One day I'll own something cool like that. :(
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

JM

Did you get a new plan with it or just buy the phone? How much did it set you back? :\

Xepher

Kept the same minutes plan I have for voice... $39/month for 600 anytime minutes, and unlimited nights and weekends. Added $35 for unlimited data and messaging. (It's $25 without messaging) Phone itself is what screwed me. If you're a new customer, they'll give you the phone for $199. But I get screwed for being a loyal customer, and had to pay $350. Still though, I bought a Razr for $199 a couple years ago, and this is WAY cooler. :-)

Munerift

I paid full retail for the LG Voyager back when it came out... $550 I think... then promptly returned it to Verizon within a month after my daughter (3 yrs old) found it quite handy to call up people & access the internet because everything was right at her fingertips...

Like I said... it was a neat phone but it had to go back... instead I took the EnVy2 for $250 & suffered months without a cell bill until I ran out of credit for returning the Voyager. hehe. I love this one... but I'll always aspire for a better cam on board!
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

Pedes

I hope you don't mind necro here, but the forum is so slow anyway I hope it won't bother anyone, but I NEED to ask...

Are you still satisfied with the phone? They only got here and you need to pay arm and leg, but they seem neat.

Databits

I've never got one, but to be honest the only appeal it'd have to me is if it could do SSH due to all the web work I do. Otherwise I'd lean more towards the iPhone than the Google Phone.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

There's a free SSH client for the Google phone... there's one for $5 for the iPhone. The physical keyboard on the Google one really makes SSH easier though.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it. I wish it had a regular headphone port, then I might actually use it for music, but neither phone holds much of that, so just keep your iPod around for that for the next few years. The battery life isn't too great if you do a lot of the web stuff. Without getting online, and just making occasional calls, it lasts about 2 days though, and I charge it every night, so it hasn't been a problem except on vacation. My only other complaint is that it's fairly bulky... but that's just not avoidable when you have a physical keyboard and trackball, etc. which are features that I really prefer over the iPhone.

griever

Isn't Cupcake supposed to fix some of the battery life stuff?  I have to charge mine every night, which isn't really inconvenient, but it could be better.  The mail sync could also be be better...I'm not sure if mine works all the time anyway.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)