News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Ubuntu Linux - Grub Boot Error # 15

Started by trekkie1701c, September 29, 2005, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekkie1701c

So... yesterday I got my long awaited Ubuntu Linux CDs in the mail.  After I backed up my important files to a Jump Drive, I installed it using the default settings (this is the first time I've installed Linux)

When my computer attempts to boot from the hard drive it tells me all the stuff about grub loading, then it gives me an error message, citing error number 15 (can't give the exact message now - I'm at school.  Fell asleep trying to fix it last night...)

What is error number 15, and how do I fix it?  This isn't really urgent (it boots from the LiveCD fine), but I'd like to have a Hard Disk based OS.
What are you looking here for?

trekkie1701c

Well... this is kind of bad but.. you guys can pretty much ignore it.  The computer joined my ever growing graveyard of dead pcs.  The cause of it isn't known, but I think my PSU may have died and taken the motherboard with it.

Xepher

Completely dead? Because I've run into Grub #15 before. It means "file not found" basically saying it couldn't find the kernel image it's supposed to be loading. 95% of the time this means grub wasn't configured properly and is looking on the wrong partition/drive for it. Are you sure you got grub.conf (aka "menu.lst") setup properly?

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html has all the error codes.

trekkie1701c

No, the thing is the computer doesn't even turn on anymore.  Like I said, the PSU may have gone (not all that surprising since it was salvaged from a computer struck by lightning).  And after triple checking the connections (first thing I do when a computer stops working), I'm sure something's seriously wrong.

Databits

You can always download the latest Ubuntu Linux iso and burn a new CD.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

trekkie1701c

Well, I have ~ 20 Ubuntu CDs coming in the mail with the latest version, but I don't think having a good CD will help me turn my computer on.

Databits

(o.O)    

trekkie1701c

It does nothing.  That's the problem.  No power's going to the motherboard (PSU fan doesn't even turn on).

Xepher

Had 5 of those at work this week alone.

trekkie1701c

Well, I KNOW how to fix it, assuming it's just the PSU and the entire motherboard isn't fried (in which case, I'm back at square one on having a working computer).  It's just I don't have the parts (believe me, a PSU that's been through a lightning strike isn't my first choice in PSUs, and neither is the 300mhz motherboard)

Databits

Speaking of Ubuntu... so far I've downloaded 2 iso's now and neither one has worked yet. I run the integrity check and find that there are problems with every one I've downloaded. I'm about to deem Ubuntu useless and run with Solaris.
(o.O)    

Xepher

I'd deem your download program as useless if that's the case. Use torrent links or something else that checksums pieces as it goes, that way you're sure to get an intact file at the end.

Databits

Naw, I got a working iso this time. Got it installed and going. I don't much care for the extra usernames that it creates (like news and www). But I already fixed any access issues they could have caused in shadow.
(o.O)    

trekkie1701c

Actually... you don't need to download the isos (unless your in a hurry for the upgrade).  Ubuntu will ship CDs for free (which is why I used it - I'm too poor to aford CD-Rs to burn a distro's installer onto).

I'm hoping I get a new PSU soon... a friend's helping me out by letting me borrow his old Qudra (or however you spell it) until I get a PSU.

Databits

I know, but that was exactly it. I was in a rush to get the system up and running ASAP. I'm using it to practice for my unix/linux administration course exam.
(o.O)