News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

The OS war?

Started by celebrateart, December 22, 2008, 09:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celebrateart

Hi guys, i was just going through youtube and found all this hate for every OS out there (particularly PC and Mac. To me it's really kind of all senseless to me. I get frustrated over all the people just hate either the PC and Mac

I use a PC and Mac and they both have substantial draw backs
I had a Linux but never got to use it sense the monitor had just short circuited, so I can't comment so much on that.

I want to ask the people here on what they think about the OS's out there and the hate for OS's in general

I just think if you like what you like should it make a difference to the person who doesn't use what you like?

fesworks

Well, When my family first, finally got a computer, it was MS Dos.. then Windows 3.1

At school, it was always Mac. First it was those weird monochrome computers with everything built it. I actually liked it because it was easy to use, and have various applications. We didn't have much on out PC at home.

Then, as I got older, and the computer changed, I started to prefer Windows because I could do a lot more with the system, versus a Mac holding my hand like I'm an idiot (and the "drag the disk to the TRASH to eject it" pissed me off too... as well as the Mac needing to verify my disk before I could eject it, whereas I could just pop it out on a PC). Also, Macs constantly had "Unexpected Error" and "Program Suddenly quit" without telling you a damn thing. That pissed me off. Then it turned into pretentious marketing. About "how cool" it is, etc... this adds hundreds of dollars onto a something, where that extra money is merely for the name and nothing else.

Mac also had the "we have these awesome programs for free and you don;t need to worry about drivers" thing... well, you buy anything, you either have the disk, or windows has the driver, or you download it. No big deal. Just marketing for people who don;t know anything, ergo, pointless for the most part.

And plus today, I can get a TON of free programs to do various tasks. I don't care if the O/S comes with them.. In fact, I prefer that it DOESN'T.

However, Windows has always had its issues, but the user is always able to have some control over the system. I know where to go to edit various settings and such. As far as a Mac, I never knew where anything was. (keep in mind I know nothing past the iMac), Settings and such that were a breeze to find on a PC, was an amzonian hike without a compass or map on the Mac.

Now, Vista advertising is pissing me off. That "Mojave Project" crap. It's obviously people that have no clue about computers. I bet you they are showing those people aesthetics and other programs for doing things... and not actually showing how the system actually works or runs... which is what an Operating system is for. Anything else can find found via 3rd party programs.

I'm in a position where I know more than the next person about how to operate a computer, however, I am not knowledgeable enough to make a jump to something like Linux. I can deal with Windows easily, but I'm not dependent upon Microsoft programs for the most part. It did take me several days to get my new computer to the settings I wanted, with all the programs I wanted, with new defaults and such.

And since I have not touched a Mac since the iMac first came out, I'd be so freaken lost that getting a Mac now is not a realistic option. And last I checked, they were expensive as Eff-all.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

celebrateart

See i'm pro Mac theres alot of programs I use for, but the PC is capable of the same software as the Mac. I guess it really comes down to the person to decide if they feel more comfortable with mac, or yet the PC. I have a friend that use windows and Linux and they are on both duel drives and he plays some Team Fortress 2. I said I wanted to get it on my mac and him and his friends laughed at me. I don't care that they laughed but wish mac was better with the games. I would have to get a mac pro tower to really get some good fps because the pro is simply like the PC tower also. But macs are hefty expensive, this laptop alone was over 1,300 alone shipping was $50 so it wasn't to bad but Macs like the iMacs and Mac book pro are just to high priced.

I think people like the PC more though because half of use were raised on the PC through school, I just got to tired of virus on the PC so the mac switched because virus on the mac, well it's hard to get a virus on the mac because most virus were made on the PC for the PC. though i'm not saying you can't get one ( seen it happen it was funny) but it is quite hard.

but fesworks tell me about the vista I was thinking about getting it on the family PC but then yet again things are easier on the XP

Xepher

I find the whole thing funny...

Actually, I think this last one is pretty true.

sagebrush

I love the last one.  Also Chuck Norris armed to the teeth, riding a dragon...

Databits

I love it how they refer to "Windows" as "PC" and "Mac" as a "Mac" system. First of all, Windows runs on a PC as does Linux, Unix, and any other variety of it (as well as on some other platforms). Mac is indeed an OS but used to only run on Apple systems. More or less, Windows is an OS, Linux is an OS, and Mac is an OS. Now here's the funny thing... now days they ALL run on a PC. They all run on a standard IBM or IBM compatible i386/i686 or x86_64.

I'm in full belief that is people don't understand the terminology, they don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision on what is and is not better than the rest.

In addition, each OS has its own usefulness. It depends on what you're doing with them. Pretty much every single computer generated movie out there is produced using Linux run rendering farms, not Mac or Windows. Most general gamers and business people use Windows systems. Then you have the Mac users who think they're better just because they overpaid for the SAME DAMN HARDWARE that I can get in a Dell for half to a third the price, just because it has some pretty logo of an Apple on it.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

fesworks

I think I recall Steve Jobs (could be wrong) wanting to call them "Inter-Personal Computers" once./

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Miluette

I like both. I'm leaning more and more towards Mac lately, though. Mostly because you can run Windows on them. |D Having both in one would be the best.

They both have good and bad things. I think people who complain all the time are just too impatient to even own computers.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

celebrateart

Quote from: Databits on December 23, 2008, 01:04:51 PM
I love it how they refer to "Windows" as "PC" and "Mac" as a "Mac" system. First of all, Windows runs on a PC as does Linux, Unix, and any other variety of it (as well as on some other platforms). Mac is indeed an OS but used to only run on Apple systems. More or less, Windows is an OS, Linux is an OS, and Mac is an OS. Now here's the funny thing... now days they ALL run on a PC. They all run on a standard IBM or IBM compatible i386/i686 or x86_64.

I'm in full belief that is people don't understand the terminology, they don't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision on what is and is not better than the rest.

In addition, each OS has its own usefulness. It depends on what you're doing with them. Pretty much every single computer generated movie out there is produced using Linux run rendering farms, not Mac or Windows. Most general gamers and business people use Windows systems. Then you have the Mac users who think they're better just because they overpaid for the SAME DAMN HARDWARE that I can get in a Dell for half to a third the price, just because it has some pretty logo of an Apple on it.

true about IBM, but mac isn't all about a pretty logo though such as windows being over 9000 ;D

Databits

Huh??

You realize that Microsoft makes most its profits off its Office Suite, not Windows right? One reason they really aren't liking Open Office all that much lately. If enough people use it they lose one of their most major cash cows.

Mac has always been about the logo. I can't think of a single thing on the Mac OS that gives it any particular advantage over Linux or Windows. The interface is harder to use, less intuitive, and it's a pain in the ass to develop software for it. The only thing that Mac was really useful for was artistic composition, but it kinda lost that the moment the software that used to be Mac-exclusive was ported over to other OS's or was replaced with other better multi-platform programs. To be technical though, Mac isn't really an OS anymore. As of OSX it's more or less just another Unix distribution with it's own version of an x-server (sorta like you can use KDE or Gnome for *nix).
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

celebrateart

but this is what i'm trying to point out though why do we get so upset about OS or windows and mac i just have never understand it. both are fine I both use them just wonder what you guys thought of it

amuletts

I find those mice that just have the one button annoying.  WHY?  Just... why?  And with my regular PC I rip things out and plug things in all the time.  With a mac (or is it an apple) I'm wondering how I can change the moniter.  Actually I would like a mac.  But I can't afford one.  I would like one I could stand next to my current pc and plug through to my monitor.  I guess it would probably be better if I could run both on the same machine.  There's some software on the mac that just tops the PC.  The reverse can also be said.  "Hey Mac, played any GAMES recently?" 
I want the best of both worlds.

tapewolf

Quote from: amuletts on January 25, 2009, 09:34:15 AM
I find those mice that just have the one button annoying.  WHY?  Just... why?  And with my regular PC I rip things out and plug things in all the time.  With a mac (or is it an apple) I'm wondering how I can change the moniter.
The mac mini is essentially strangely-shaped laptop without a keyboard or screen.  You supply your own (proper) mouse, keyboard etc.  If you know what you're doing, you can prize it open and upgrade the memory, replace the disk and heck, some brave soul even upgraded the processor (!).  As for the higher-end macs, I wouldn't know - I can't justify the cost.

"The main difficulty is getting [Qa'Dar] out of his cage.
Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Miluette

I don't get the one button mice either, and I'm glad I never bought one. e___e

At college I always toted around my regular mouse and stuck it in macs when needed.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

celebrateart

i'm going to agree. they have the new ones where it has two buttons, but it's hard to tell because it uses the sensitivity on which side where you put pressure. and sometimes you just don't right click with it. Yeah, i'm still stuck on the mouses that have the ball for the index finger, they use to have them for the thumb. But yet i have a regular mouse also for every computer I use.