News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Little Infinity

Started by ~Christopher, December 24, 2008, 05:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~Christopher

Desired Username: little-infinity
E-mail: k12123atgmaildotcom

Hi, I'm Chris, and I'm from Canada. I just turned 17, and I have an interest in applying for some space on Xepher to put my art up.

I've been working at my photography for months, but I do some traditional work as well. My art is more conceptual than anything else. Sure my gallery has some pretty landscapes, but I'm more focused on photography (and art) that has a greater meaning to it. My art is here:

http://k121widowmaker.deviantart.com

I've been looking for a website to put up some of my best work (similar to how photographers put up their portfolios) on their websites. Unfortunately as I am still a high-school student, paid hosting isn't really feasible at the moment. I'm also hoping that the website will help me apply to the Ontario College of Art and Design this spring.

As for web-skills. I lack. I know SOME basic HTML, but that's about it. I rely on graphics to design my website. I haven't ever actually completed a website, bit I worked with notepad/GIMP a bit and came up with a mock layout with some filler content. If you download the small 600kb zip file and extract the folder to your desktop, you should be able to browse my website locally by clicking on the index.htm file in the folder.

Oh and don't mind the content, most of it is nonsensical/silly filler text. (especially the About Me section lol, though you're welcome to read)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vyjytmtyxcd/~Chris.zip

Umm, I don't really have much to add, hopefully my work will speak for itself. :)

And take your time reviewing, no rush! I hope you like what I have to offer! Have a happy holiday people! :D
~Christopher

deviantART | OCAD

celebrateart

Munerift

The photos it's self are good however if you have no experience making websites I think that it may be a bit difficult for you to have a website here... there are no automatic website builders & the method we use to upload the sites are a bit advanced for someone that's never touched a transfer tool. It can be done because we all learn from not knowing something at first but you may want to get more familiar with how to put a website together & what kind of work it would involve keeping it updated.

Maybe practice a little bit with websites first & then come back with a sample site you'd like to host here?

To be honest I learned all of my HTML coding through Neopets.com way way back... about 100 years ago. ;)
I'm Home!
MuneRift - DeviantArt - Etsy

~Christopher

Oh no I didn't say I don't have ANY experience. I know how to make websites, but what I meant was that I'm more of a minimalist, less code, more graphics.

I just have little CODING experience. I have a sample site in that zip file for you guys to judge. I know how to use FTP (my browser has an FTP client that I never use).
~Christopher

deviantART | OCAD

Miluette

And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Xepher

I really like the photography! You've got a definite knack for it. Really some beautiful stuff.

As for hosting, I think my main question is: Why do you think xepher.net would be a better fit than some of the more dedicated art and photography communities out there on the net?

~Christopher

Well I was first attracted by your motto "Free Hosting for Free Thinkers".

Second, I am kind of looking for a secondary home other than my deviantART. I noticed that most photographers on dA don't just keep to deviantART, but also have a second website showcasing some of their other stuff, which is what I was planning to do. The art/photography communities are great if you want feedback, and a place to submit just your art, but I'm now looking for more than just that.

I'm looking for a place where I can present myself to others, rather than just my small base of watchers on dA. I'm looking for a more "professional" way to showcase my work, as well as other aspects of myseslf outside of being an artist. As well, alot of dA's features are pretty limited. I'd like more freedom to customize the way I present myself to others.

I think Xepher is the perfect place for that, as I don't see any other place dedicated to accomodating webspace for young artists such as myself. :)

And again, if you want to see a sample of my web-work, it's in the zip file.
~Christopher

deviantART | OCAD

Xepher

Good enough. You're in! You should have an email with login info and instructions.

~Christopher

Thank You! This is the best thing I could get on New Year's!

However, I try to login to user services, and the password is bad :(

Anyways, thanks again, happy new year! :D
~Christopher

deviantART | OCAD

Xepher

I typoed it... Doh! Switch the first "e" and "p" around and see if that works. Then, change it to whatever you want after you login.

~Christopher

~Christopher

deviantART | OCAD

~Christopher

Although for 3 weeks now my front page still says "Under Construction", I just wanted to let you know I'm still using the space so don't delete it :P

http://little-infinity.xepher.net/~Chris/

It's just not "gold" yet :P So I put the actual site WIP under a subdirectory. Let me know how it looks, I'm open to suggestions. :)
~Christopher

deviantART | OCAD

~Christopher

Just for your information, I'm going to put the site work on hiatus for now. I have alot going on, and I got two portfolio interviews in about a week, so I need to put work on halt for awhile. Thanks! :)
~Christopher

deviantART | OCAD