News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Setting Up wordpress/comicpress

Started by Turnsky, December 11, 2007, 06:56:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraunie

okay, sleep helped me now and I figured out that me keeping it in the "wordpress" folder makes a difference, which is a major "duh" all around. Anyway, thanks!

Xepher

fraunie

Frack, I don't know what I did now. I wanted to change the name from "wordpress" to "blog" then it just won't let me edit anything now, even when I try to change it back to "wordpress". Everytime I try to log in, it tells me the cookies are disabled or block, but I didn't touch that stuff. Is this a host related issue or should I try to bother the wordpress forums?

griever

I think you have to go into your database, find the table that keeps track of your options, and make sure the folder name matches up to what you changed it.  If you log into your database, find your table that's something like wp_options, and it'll be the 1st or 2nd row that will have your URL in it...click on the pencil/edit button and make sure it matches the new URL.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fraunie

I found one of "blog_id", so I think it's correct...but it doesn't seem to change the situation.

griever

Not blog_id....in your database, click on wp_options, then browse, then look for siteurl (should be the 1st row).  Click edit and see if it matches your url/newfolder name?  (this will display in the option_value column)

fraunie

AHHHH, it worked! I'm not touching that stuff anymore! Thanks!

jekkal

Um... I'm completely blanking on how to install Wordpress myself. I know there's already a directory available, but I'm not sure if the wordpress folder goes in the public_html folder or not, and either way I'm having trouble actually accessing the database that's already sitting there. I'm using WinSCP, but it won't let me just "open" the database.

Help?

Xepher

The database isn't just a file or anything... the file you're seeing may be the backup of it, but that's all. Databases are complex things with multiple tables and... well, a lot of stuff. Try the database interface linked from https://xepher.net/user-services/ to mess with 'em. If you're trying a new install of wordpress and already had an old one, you may need to delete the old tables first. And yes, anything html should should be viewable by the public goes in public_html. Most of the time wordpress is put in public_html itself (if your whole site is wordpress) or in a sub-folder like "blog" or such.

griever

http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress#Famous_5-Minute_Install

Skip Step 2 because Xepher's already done that.

Also, after uploading all the files, make sure the .php files are set to 700.  Your program may or may not do that automatically.

If you want to see your database, log in via Xepher.net > User Services > Database after Step 6.

Xepher

Griever: Handy link there. Thanks! However, chmod 700 isn't needed since the move to the Arclight server a couple years ago (when the new newsbox system came online.)