News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Statistics

Started by tapewolf, January 21, 2009, 04:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sagebrush

I think AWstats was what I had at Startlogic, and it gave a lot of useful information, like unique IP addresses and links to wherever traffic was coming from.  Lunarpages uses Webalizer, because AWstats "uses more resources."  Webalizer isn't that impressive, though.  I ran the stat program on here, and it's okay but not particularly useful.  My Project Wonderful numbers are HUGE compared to my Google Analytics numbers, so I would like a third "opinion" on how many people are actually hitting my site.

Xepher

I'll try and redo the stats system here in the not too distant future. It looks like AWStats requires a log item that the current logs don't have though, so I have to change the output format for the server first. I'll work on it some this "weekend" (monday/tuesday for my schedule.)

fesworks

Quote from: sagebrush on February 05, 2009, 07:10:19 AM
My Project Wonderful numbers are HUGE compared to my Google Analytics numbers, so I would like a third "opinion" on how many people are actually hitting my site.

with bats...

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Databits

Quote from: sagebrush on February 05, 2009, 07:10:19 AMLunarpages uses Webalizer, because AWstats "uses more resources."

Webilizer is absolutely worthless for anyone who's serious about watching their sites stats.

Apparently, Lunarpages admins don't have a damn clue what they are talking about. Granted AWStats has more detailed statistics but both it and Webilizer require a cron job to keep up to date listings and both process the same damn log files. Leave it to stupid admins to make a call like that... LOL
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

tapewolf

I'd be most grateful if we can have AWstats :P

"The main difficulty is getting [Qa'Dar] out of his cage.
Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

fesworks

I use Go Stats

http://gostats.com

not sure about accuracy, but I put the code on every single page. (well, I have my site wordpressed, so that part is easy now)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Alright, I've set up awstats and seperate logfiles for each user now. There's a link to "View Statistics" when logged in to user-services, or you can go directly to http://xepher.net/awstats/awstats.pl?config=username

This too WAY too long to set up and automate, but it's finally done. Stats will be updated nightly, and shouldn't be limited to the current month the way the old ones were. However, as these are starting from scratch, there's only data for the past few hours so far right now.

sagebrush

Miluette

Hey, neat! Thanks! %D This is fun.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

tapewolf

Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

fesworks

Very Excellent :D

Thanks!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

tapewolf

Excellent... AWstats has already shown me one 404 (leftovers from .htm -> .php).

Miluette

Apparently I'm getting a lot of 404s because there're people still linking to the wrong homepage/archive for Millennium now. I made a note of the change on the error page, hehe.

I don't get some of the numbers on this stat thing. Some of them just seem...well, too high lol.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Databits

Generally a better solution for those cases is a 301 permanent move redirect to the proper page. It's also extremely useful when trying to salvage your search indexes after a large-scale change.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

fesworks

I need some clarification on "Visits",    "Pages", and "Hits"... as in... what's the difference? I'm going to guess "Sessions", "Uniques", and "Hits"? ... or?

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com