News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

recommendations for domain name stuff

Started by fraunie, February 06, 2009, 11:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fraunie

I was thinking about getting a domain name finally, but since the last time I got one (aeons ago with GoDaddy) there have been plenty of options that are now included at added costs and numerous places to get a domain names registered. Mainly what I was wondering if you guys on the forums had any recommendations on which are the prime services and if those supplemental add-ons they offer are necessary? I would be ready to register with GoDaddy's  basic .com registration ($9.99 US), but I remember a few months back almost following through before they started offering all these other aspects that jumped the price. It got confusing and I told myself to research more into it before making permanent decisions.

Thoughts? Any opinion on this would be extremely helpful. I'll try and sift through the older posts and see if this has been discussed before.

Miluette

I use GoDaddy. My only issue with them (besides their hella cluttered site design) is that I'd like to be able to renew my domains without the extra crap I put on the first time so I only pay $9 or whatever, but it doesn't seem to let me. $20/year for a domain name. No going back. Hrrrm.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

fraunie

so would you recommend just getting the $9 one?

fraunie

bah, I got impatient and bought it off of godaddy. crossedfingers that it all goes well.

Thanks for your input!

fesworks

I have 10 domain names bought from GoDaddy... since I'm just using the domain names, and no other service, I should never run into any real problem... I'm hosted on Xepher.net, so if something happens, I just blame Xepher. ;)

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Miluette

Yeah, I haven't heard of a much better/cheaper domain name provider in my time.

Fun fact: when I got my first domain name, the person I was hosted with at the time immediately deleted all my stuff off her server - unaware that I had only bought a name, not another host or webspace.

That's when I came to Xepher. :P It probably wasn't a good idea to be hosted with her anyway, as she thought 26 megs was "too much" space for me to be using, and she did something like delete all my stuff without warning. I could have lost something that way if I weren't so meticulous about backing up my work.

And Xepher's hosting is wondrous.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?