News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Inaccurate Perdition application

Started by Tornleaf, October 01, 2005, 12:25:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tornleaf

Site title: Inaccurate Perdition

Username: inaccurate-perdition.xepher.net

E-mail: paperwolf12ATyahooDOTcom

Description:

http://www.geocities.com/inaccurateperdition/

Hummm, well this site will revolve around my comic, which takes place in the underworld. It's cartoony, so the violence is really mild and plot-related. Not like organs flying everywhere. X) I typed up the HTML myself, no templates were used, and all of the artwork is my own. There's just basic comic links, like the cast, archives n' stuff. I don't have mad 1337 PHP skillz sooo I can't have that automated update thing; I'll be updating the old fasioned way. ^^; It's nearly finished, just got one or two profiles to create. Anywho, thanks for the consideration!
-Yam

griever

I like your art style!  How long has this comic been running, or rather, how long does it take for you to get a new page up?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Tornleaf

Thank you! Running? Mm...well I've been posting pages here and there on my art gallery since my freshman year - I'm a senior right now. X3 I wasn't on any type of schedule for the pages, which is why there's so few, but should I get this site seriously up and running, I'm gonna aim for either once or twice a week.

tickyhead

Well, let's seeeeeeeeeee......

love your art, for one. Very nice style, all cartoony and such. Didn't get to see much before I broke it though >>; sorry about that. What I saw I really liked however. The update schedule you mentioned kinda reminds me of me....but hey I got in so I bet you will to! XD

just to nitpick though, it's kinda annoying to have to keep clicking on pages, closing them, clicking the next one, closing that, etc.. A basic HTML back-next thing would be great.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Tornleaf

Thanks. :3 You mean the archive? Yeah...if I knew how to do that simple back/next thing I'd do it. I think there's a way to do it with Javascript, but if you know of another way please let me know. X3

Databits

Aye, the geocities bandwidth really blows. It's amazing that people even care to use geocities when you can use your bandwidth up simply testing your pages. :P

Nice artwork though. I hope at the very least you get hosting, if not here, somewhere that's deserving of it. Geocites gives hardly anything due justice.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

tickyhead

Quote from: YamitaThanks. :3 You mean the archive? Yeah...if I knew how to do that simple back/next thing I'd do it. I think there's a way to do it with Javascript, but if you know of another way please let me know. X3
well, the way I do it (tedious and EVIL, but it works) is just like making any other link. you make a HTML page for each page, and make little links on the bottom going to the next page and the previous page (or the archives, if it's the first page)

excerpt from one of my pages (chapter 1, page 13 to be exact~):

[code]http://www.mystikskies.net/knou/archive/01/12.html">

Databits

Write a php system to drive and automate your links? Initially writing may be a pain, but after that it's all easy upkeep. :P
(o.O)    

Tornleaf

Ah yeah, I've considered making seperate pages like that, Tickyhead, I just didn't wanna use too much webspace. But I don't think it would make much of a difference, huh? Thanks, I'll get on that today. X)

I don't know anything about PHP, Databits. ^^; I tried to learn about it once, but it went into databases and things called Perls and MySql or however ya spell it, and it got slightly confusing. Otherwise the whole site would be automated. x_x Nice av, by the way. ;)

Xepher

There are already written scripts out there to let you update and automate a comic.

http://atp.cx/?a=downloads
http://walrus.newbsoft.com/

Tornleaf

Oooh, thanks, I'll check them out. :)

tickyhead

meh, I'm not a fan of automation. I'm stupid in that I like doing things the hard way I guess :P

Tornleaf

Well now I'm highly considering your way, Ticky. I've been trying to figure out PHP all day with no avail. For some reason I can't get my index.php on to any server to test it. >_<

Lei

yeah free servers rarely ever support php. It's not that hard, so don't really worry about it for now
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Databits

I suppose, but if you find yourself doign regular updates, automation can make things very easy rather than manually updating multiple pages.

I definitely recommend it for sites that have regular updates.

Perl is another scripting language that isn't used within PHP. I find Perl to be a little useless for websites compared to PHP. Though it's still usefull for other stuff.
(o.O)