News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

dA in ruins?

Started by SilentFyre, August 03, 2005, 01:16:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

Holy dear god this post is from way back in 2005.  :D
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Thu

TheTwinNex

Scary to come back here and find my old old topic was bumped. Eeek.

jekkal

Ironically, all these years after the thread gets necro'd, I would still argue that I consider dA to be a hellhole.

The rift in features between paid/unpaid now is ridiculous; at least at LiveJournal you still have lots of functionality for basic stuff, and if you don't want to pay you can put up with ads. And quite frankly, I see no reason to pay for dA subscriptions when my page basically remains ignored either way; at least on Gaia I get something for wasting my money. ;)

Xepher

DA has PAID account/subscription options now? That sounds like a scam in the making. I mean, what do they give you that's worth real world money? It was one thing to advertise, or even to take profit perentages off prints/shirts/stuff, but to limit features of a website so they can charge for more. Hmm... maybe the market/need for another art site IS there.

pigeon-wing

These are the features listed on the subscriptions page:

"   * Get up to 120 Deviations per page when browsing
    * Browse with No Ads
    * Browse Way Back all the way to 2000
    * Customize 20 slots on your front page
    * Download art to your Mobile Phone with deviantMOBILE(1)
    * Make journals with Polls, Forum, Shoutbox, and even CSS"

$4.95 for a month, $7.95 for three months, or $29.95 for a year... I certainly wouldn't shell out money for such features when I have my very own website to customize ;)
I'm so sorry about Bella, Jack.

John

Quote from: pigeon-wing on November 17, 2007, 11:06:55 PM
These are the features listed on the subscriptions page:

"   * Get up to 120 Deviations per page when browsing
    * Browse with No Ads
    * Browse Way Back all the way to 2000
    * Customize 20 slots on your front page
    * Download art to your Mobile Phone with deviantMOBILE(1)
    * Make journals with Polls, Forum, Shoutbox, and even CSS"

$4.95 for a month, $7.95 for three months, or $29.95 for a year... I certainly wouldn't shell out money for such features when I have my very own website to customize ;)

Sheezyart has those features for free, anyways. :P
DAAHHHH! I make gaming webcomics, maybe that's why I'm insane...

jekkal

SheezyArt lets you browse and post in peace, eh?

*necro's her account there* Might be worth it to post some pages over there. Not like my dA and FA pages are doing much now anyways.

amuletts

SheezyArt is the place to be, eh?  Well, I definately dislike dA's profiteering.  What is FA?

Databits

Just for the record, it's not cheap to host mass amounts of image content. I don't entirely blame DA for starting to charge for some things if they've been doing it for free for a long time if they are losing out on shit. However, it's one of them things that should probably be implemented into *new* users and just grandfather in old users.
(o.O)    

SilentFyre

People keep necromancing my thread. Holy cow.

Databits

HAHA, zombie threads FTW.
(o.O)