News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

what is PHP exactly

Started by celebrateart, February 28, 2009, 03:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celebrateart

It's ockward for me asking but I rather ask you guys here, whats the difference with .HTML to .PHP?

thanks

Dennis

Databits

HTML is a markup language designed for data layout and display (Hyper Text Markup Language). HTML is static information which doesn't change without the aid of something else (Javascript on the front-end and/or PHP, Ruby, ASP, etc... on the server-side).

PHP (as well as Ruby, ASP, and a few other things) is a server-side interpreted programming language which is typically used for generating HTML or other content dynamically.

That's about as well as I can explain it as I'm not really a teacher.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

celebrateart

So is more easier or better to use? Or is it better to stick with HTML?

tickyhead

HTML is easier, but PHP is better. If you just want a simple website without too much that could go wrong, then HTML is the simpler option. If you want a dynamic website that allows for near limitless customization, including but not limited to visitor participation, then you want PHP, but it's harder to get the hang of, and things can go pretty damn wrong if you don't code it right.

At least, that's how I've always figured it.

Also, "awkward."
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Databits

Well, the other main difference is you generally use HTML and PHP together, not separately (well I suppose you could if you're serving up pages in something silly like plain text, xml, or something else). So you'd need to learn both in that case.

If you're just starting out with this stuff, I suggest just sticking to HTML and getting an understanding on what it is. Think of PHP as an extension to make it do more than it's initially able to.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]