News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

You know what kind of irks me about some online mangas.

Started by Gwyn, October 04, 2005, 02:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gwyn

the whole read right to left thing. Unless the person who's making it reads/writes primarily that way, there's really no point to me. I know translated mangas are still read right to left. I think that's because since the writers/artists read and are used to following the motion that way, it would look weird flipped. Some people say it's more traditional and authentic I guess, but I figure if they really wanted it tradtional and authentic they wouldn't have it online.

There's a few I read that are like it, and I certainly wouldn't not read one because of it, I just don't really know why people do it. Am I the only one?
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Lei

Yeah it's... strange. I think it just takes away from the whole flow of the project; when the art of online manga is so intricate as the [link=http://woodworksezine.com/2004/issue09_aug/comicprocess.html]position of arms and where the character is looking[/link] (though I doubt it has a great overall effect?), reading right to left but left to right at the same time is just odd.
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Xepher

I don't mind so much... Except when they screw up the buttons for "turning" pages. If you're going to read from right to left, then the "next" button better be on the left side. I've seen several "mangas" that read right to left, and then you have to go and click the right arrow for the next page. Like philosophy or scientific theory, the very LEAST I expect is internal consistency.

Tangle

Quote from: XepherI don't mind so much... Except when they screw up the buttons for "turning" pages. If you're going to read from right to left, then the "next" button better be on the left side. I've seen several "mangas" that read right to left, and then you have to go and click the right arrow for the next page. Like philosophy or scientific theory, the very LEAST I expect is internal consistency.
Amen to that.

Lei

there's been some comics though, that read left to right but the buttons move right to left, which is a little add-on to Xepher's pet peeve..
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Databits

People could simply design the layout to work with the CSS layout medium that the user's browser is using. That way the comic reads in the direction that the user prefers. It's a little more work but entirely possible if you use frame images rather than entire page images.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

trekkie1701c

Even worse is a webcomic that has NO back/next buttons at all, requiring you to go to the archives.  If the comic has an archives page.  Without the ability to read the comics from the start, it's like starting a book in the middle, and that, of course, isn't fun.
What are you looking here for?