News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Welcome to the Dog Star

Started by Xepher, April 07, 2009, 10:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

The new server, Sirius, is now online, and is what's serving this page right now. The migration involved about 10 minutes of downtime total, and everything should be up and running normally again. Things should be identical to the old server from a user perspective, save that we've got more cpu and ram. However, I'm sure I probably missed some detail or other in the move, so as always, let me know if you encounter any glitches or problems.

fesworks

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

One change to note here... The new server is on a metered bandwidth connection now, so I'm trying to be a bit more cautious with bandwidth usage. I'm buying two VMs here actually, for a total transfer allowance of 3TB (3000GB) per month, which should be more than enough, but just try to be a bit cautious with huge file downloads and such. One thing I am doing is switching the newsbox over to using JPEG images instead of PNG. The newsbox was using about 400GB/month on its own. This should reduce that to around 150GB or so, but of course they'll look slightly uglier.

Miluette

JPEGs should still look fine so long as people know how to save 'em!

What are the types of files that tend to use up the most bandwidth/be hugest? Or, around what filesize? I'm thinking of toning some of my sites back as soon as I stop being lazy~
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Xepher

It's really only the most obnoxious stuff that's a problem. Mostly it's been with people uploading illegal stuff like copies of software and such. The only other thing I've seen is people putting up a single page with 40 screens of images or something, meaning all of it gets loaded everytime, rather than just thumbnails or the images people are actually looking for. Don't worry about normal site design, as that shouldn't be a problem.

As for the newsbox... I've already changed the code. People can upload just like normal, and it'll just save them as jpegs now, instead of png. I converted all the existing images too, and I don't think most people will even notice.

tapewolf

Ah, I thought this might have happened when the SSH key changed.  I meant to ask before... you mentioned in the other thread about possibly having a failover server.  Does that mean that you've devised a plan for system backups, or would this be two machines in the datacentre that are physically linked (and therefore able to mirror the data over their local net)?

"The main difficulty is getting [Qa'Dar] out of his cage.
Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Xepher

I am going to get a second VM (virtual machine) in the same datacenter. It'll be called Procyon, and will maintain backups through an unmetered private network. It likely won't be automatic failover, but I'll be able to manually switch things in the event of a disaster or major problem. I'm gonna try and it get up over the next week here or so.

Xepher

The second server is now online. It's named Procyon (get it? Alpha Canis Major... another dog star!) and it'll serve as the new backup system. It'll continue the nightly backups that were happening on Arclight, but it's also completely separate (unlike the internal VMs on arclight) so it can very rapidly be converted to run the live site in the event something catastrophic happens to Sirius.

schwarzkreuz

Fugu keeps telling me

"warning remote host identification has changed"

and won't let me connect.

I'm a babe in the technical woods :( any sujestions?

tapewolf

Quote from: schwarzkreuz on April 13, 2009, 05:11:56 AM
Fugu keeps telling me
"warning remote host identification has changed"
and won't let me connect.

This may be a case of the blind leading the blind, but try deleting the xepher.net line from ~/.ssh/known_hosts.

If Fugu is a proper unix app (rather than a Classic app or something) it should work, if not it's probably keeping the ID somewhere else.

I have to admit that my initial reaction was to completely nuke ~/.ssh, but I'm pretty sure there is more... refined way of doing it >:3

EDIT:
Actually, that could be difficult if you're not a command-line junkie.  Finder seems to have hidden .ssh and I'm not sure how you make it show it.

Worst case, go to the command shell and:

rm ~/.ssh/known_hosts

Next time you connect, it should rebuild the file with the new ID.

Far and away the most reliable method I have found is mass-murder." -- The IT-HE guide to Morrowind

Xepher

Yeah, that's basically what needs to be done. If you open a Terminal window, you should be able to run the rm command Tapewolf gave above. Apparently that works for fugu.

schwarzkreuz

o_O

uhhh... no idea what you're talking about.

I'm Oedipus in the technical woods. Not only am I a babe. My ankles are nailed together.

tapewolf

Quote from: schwarzkreuz on April 14, 2009, 09:49:31 AM
uhhh... no idea what you're talking about.

I'm Oedipus in the technical woods. Not only am I a babe. My ankles are nailed together.

A lot of this is made worse by Apple's misguided attempts to make the system 'more friendly'.

Anyway, I don't have proper access to a mac right now, but I think it's this:

1. In finder, go to Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal
2. This should give you the command prompt.
3. Enter the following command exactly - cut-and-paste is probably best:

rm ~/.ssh/known_hosts

4. If fugu is running, shut it down.
5. Launch fugu, try to connect

Let us know if that works, or what happens if it doesn't...

schwarzkreuz

That worked.

Thanks guys. Sorry I'm such a luddite.

tapewolf

Quote from: schwarzkreuz on April 15, 2009, 10:30:54 AM
That worked.
Thanks guys. Sorry I'm such a luddite.

Glad it worked out.