News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Contest/Project for 2009 ideas.... (Split. See last page)

Started by fesworks, May 24, 2009, 01:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Presedente

That sound pretty cool MattSqueaks, whats part of the neighborhood are you from? the states, UK or elsewhere? I'm trying to get a leg up on the old small press scene networking the converntions etc myself, Sounds like you know a thing or two.

Also, Fes, hows the retro cover coming along? I had a simlar Idea in te style of Jack Kerouac's book covers, given that era having a slight influence on Jenny's character.

fesworks

Quote from: El Presedente on June 04, 2009, 09:54:34 PM
That sound pretty cool MattSqueaks, whats part of the neighborhood are you from? the states, UK or elsewhere? I'm trying to get a leg up on the old small press scene networking the converntions etc myself, Sounds like you know a thing or two.

Also, Fes, hows the retro cover coming along? I had a simlar Idea in te style of Jack Kerouac's book covers, given that era having a slight influence on Jenny's character.
The Retro-cover has not gone beyond mental idea at this point.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

Quote from: MattSqueaks on June 06, 2009, 02:37:43 PM

Quote from: fesworks on May 24, 2009, 01:26:05 AM
Normally, the contests have been where I fronted some money for part of the prize, but I can't really afford to do that this time... Because, I really would like to give a free book to everyone that is involved, but I don't think I could afford that.... except for maybe the top 3 contributors.

I've got a pretty extensive collection of signed comics by a wide variety of pencillers, writers, and so on, and would be willing to put in a few of them for prizes in the contest. I can't say that I'm keen on paying shipping for them, but maybe Fes can figure out some way to work that out...

I kinda meant the finished product of the collaboration itself.

The first contest on The Archive had a $35 prize.

The second was winning, not only the placement of their art for the official cards for a TCG, but also a deck of the TCG along with the card they did the art for.

I'm trying more for related prizes if I can.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

Quote from: El Presedente on June 03, 2009, 10:02:04 PM
Well, I'm up for anything, time permitting, I'm actually working on a nine page full colour scripted strip atm, though its the start of an arc more than a self contained short.

I musta missed this post when the thread when to two pages :P

anyway, cool :) :P

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

El Presedente

So, I done had another Idea on how we could colaberate but also be able to keep to our own ideas. Along similar lines with doing a bunch of our own stories following a similar theme I thought it would be good if we did some sort of 'where were you when...' style theme (quite often we hear, everyone knows where they were when Kennedy was shot, when man walked on the moon etc), so we could have some kind of event that effects different Jennys across the dimentions.

We'd be able to have freedom to produce our own stories, but We'd be able to crack our heads together to come up with what this event would be that they'd tie into, how would it effect the Jennys, what the repecussions of this would be?

Seems like a great way for us to pool together our ideas, and those who don't make the book could have at least contributed in they're own way.

fesworks

For reference of printing, the page specifications are:

300dpi
RBG for Coloring (or color in CMYK and then convert to RGB)
Index/B&W (or Greyscale) for B&W
TIFF file (nothing else)

Page margins:
http://ka-blam.com/printing/index.php?page=Specs_comics

I can take anyone's original files and convert them, if need be. Make sure that the DPI is at LEAST 300.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

pdr

Well, I'm all for working on something for this, but I'm no skilled artist. I can draw passably, but I've no experience with coloring or inking. Plus, I don't even own a scanner these days and as seen by my only Jenny contribution to date my drawing-in-Photoshop skills leave something to be desired. I could certainly work on a script or something and put it up to see if anyone would like to work on it, but that's about the best idea I can come up with.

Seeing others who would like to work in the prose medium, I'm wondering if we can't get something done in a collection of prose short stories as well as the comic ones. Then again that may be biting off more than we can chew at this date. But in any case I'm on board for support if nothing else.
--PDR

Eternally Lost Zeppo

I'd be up for participating, but it'll probably have to be a prose submission as well, since I'm mainly a writer and I've had trouble before finding an artist to collaborate on a comic book project. I'll start brainstorming some ideas anyway.

El Presedente

Come on fellas, show a bit more spirit than that, it's like I alread said, sell, sell, sell. I'm sure if we spead the word a bit we'll be able to get a fine few artisic types involved. Any online communities you frequent or even people you hang about with, ask around.

Think I'll stick something up on the deviantart forums, see if we can't coax a few people who might be interested in working on something.

Cheers Chaps

fesworks

Well, we really would need artistic talent for this... most people won't want to buy something that mostly text.... So, for now, I want to shy away from strictly text-only stories.

that being said, a text-story that is supplemented with art could work. The art does not need to be a literal comic version of the story, but may have scenes, etc.

I hate to restrict creativity, but for a comic book, especially in this method, the more text-only it is, means the more expensive it is... as far as page real estate that is... A full color page is going to cost the same if you use a full-color image, versus B&W text.

Of course, artists are harder to snag for these things, but I want more art before deciding on text-only stories.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Red.Baron

I got one in PDF format.  It's attached to this post.

In this one, Jenny Everywhere is a main character, but I hope you
don't mind that it stars two of my characters: Kaina, and Chris.

Note:

* A hachimaki headband is the Japanese equivelant to
the "go team!" flags of western culture.  I just thought it would
make it more of a dramatic moment to use them.

* Almost all parts, model numbers, etc. mentioned about kaina's
car are made up.  Just realize that it's a REALLY fast car.

El Presedente

By the way I had another idea of what possible theme we could do, I know that an origin story has been touched upon a few times, but we could do a bunch of origin stories for various Jennys, the could even interlink.

fesworks

Quote from: El Presedente on June 25, 2009, 03:07:22 PM
By the way I had another idea of what possible theme we could do, I know that an origin story has been touched upon a few times, but we could do a bunch of origin stories for various Jennys, the could even interlink.

Origin stories are touchy, really... I mean, they can certainly work, but when you start with an open source character with no real background..... They should definitely have more care in creation than a regular story.

I was hoping for a more old-school approach. back before Jenny shifted all around, and when she just had a simple one-off adventure. Not shifting and shifting out like Doctor Who, but she's just there and there's an adventure. Just starting, in the midsts, or finishing one.

There's plenty of strips and arcs that explain who she is. I'm hoping for some various adventures, maybe up to 8 pages each... like the early days.

I'm not say a collection of origins wouldn't be an interesting idea at all, I was just thinking of something simpler.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

fesworks

I'VE GOT IT!!!!

There is really no time to get this book idea thing out and done in time (at all) this year,... maybe for next year.,

BUT how about A COMIC JAM????

Not a story, but artwork. Pass around a PSD with a central art of something, like a birthday cake on a table in the middle. Then pass around a PSD (or just have people work from a simple image) to add their own Jenny Everywhere, reacting to the art provided (or other Jennys). People can even Team up!

Now, this does not need to be done in time for her birthday on the 13th. It can even START on that day.

We might need to start a limit/sign-up sheet though... or a deadline.

The end result could be sold as a Wallpaper (for how much?) to gain Ad Revenue for The Shifter Archive, advertising the site AND the Wallpaper (everyone involved would get the free, final copy, of course.)

Also, if anyone knows how to set up those Paypal links that will give people access to files or such after payment, that would help me a lot! I have no idea how to automatically set that up...

Thoughts?????

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

El Presedente

Yeah, Like the idea, I'm up for it, lets do it.