News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Billy Mays is dead!!!

Started by fesworks, June 28, 2009, 08:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529328,00.html

Quote'Infomercial King' Billy Mays Found Dead in Home

Sunday, June 28, 2009

AP

In this Dec. 6, 2002 file photo,TV pitchman Billy Mays poses with some of his cleaning products at his Palm Harbor, Fla., home.

Television pitchman Billy Mays — who built his fame by appearing on commercials and infomercials promoting household products and gadgets — died Sunday.

Mays, 50, was found unresponsive by his wife inside his Tampa, Fla., home at 7:45 a.m. on Sunday, according to the Tampa Police Department.

Police said there were no signs of forced entry to Mays' residence and foul play is not suspected. Authorities said an autopsy should be complete by Monday afternoon.

"Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times," Mays wife, Deborah, said in a statement on Sunday.

Mays was well known for his numerous television promotions of such products as Orange Glo and OxiClean. He was also featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which followed Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs.

Born William Mays in McKees Rocks, Pa., on July 20, 1958, Mays developed his style demonstrating knives, mops and other "as seen on TV" gadgets on Atlantic City's boardwalk. For years he worked as a hired gun on the state fair and home show circuits, attracting crowds with his booming voice and genial manner.

After meeting Orange Glo International founder Max Appel at a home show in Pittsburgh in the mid-1990s, Mays was recruited to demonstrate the environmentally friendly line of cleaning products on the St. Petersburg-based Home Shopping Network.

Commercials and informercials followed, anchored by the high-energy Mays showing how it's done while tossing out kitschy phrases like, "Long live your laundry!"

Recently he's been seen on commercials for a wide variety of products and is featured on the reality TV show "Pitchmen" on the Discovery Channel, which follows Mays and Anthony Sullivan in their marketing jobs. He's also been seen in ESPN ads.

His ubiquitousness and thumbs-up, in-your-face pitches won Mays plenty of fans. People line up at his personal appearances for autographed color glossies, and strangers stop him in airports to chat about the products.

"I enjoy what I do," Mays told The Associated Press in a 2002 interview. "I think it shows."

Mays was on board a US Airways flight that blew out its front tires as it landed at a Tampa airport on Saturday, MyFOXTampa.com reported.

US Airways spokesman Jim Olson said that none of the 138 passengers and five crew members were injured in the incident, but several passengers reported having bumps and bruises, according to the station.

Authorities have not said whether Mays' death was related to the incident.

Discovery Channel spokeswoman Elizabeth Hillman released a statement Sunday extending sympathy to the Mays family.

"Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth," Hillman's statement said. "Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."

Nooooo! He was awesome!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

JM

It's like there's something in the water that kills people who are 50...

Xepher

As the song lyrics go "You know these actors always die in threes." We had Ed McMahon, Michael Jackson, and now Billy Mays. Strange sometimes.

fesworks

What about Farrah Faceut or whatever? Billy Mays is the 4th

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Yeah, and the guy that hung himself too... But really, we shouldn't count Michael Jackson up there with awesome people like Billy Mays. I mean, Billy had his own TV show!

Miluette

David Carradine was murdered, yo.

Billy Mays was just out of NOWHERE. Such a nice guy. Apparently had some kind of heart disease. :[ He used to annoy me with his impossible-to-ignore voice on TV, but he seemed like one of those genuine guys. Not the kind of guy who fights with a hooker.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

JM

Police down in New Zealand said that Jeff Goldblum fell to his death.

Thankfully, he actually did not.

Miluette

I like how some Australian news program actually reported on it, too. lol.
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

JM

Gwyn

I find it kind of funny that they're still airing his life insurance commercial.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?