News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Deleting Email

Started by Miluette, July 12, 2009, 10:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miluette

I noticed that when I delete mail on webmail here, it doesn't actually go to the trash. The trash remains empty. That saddens me, as there were a few things I deleted on accident that I wanted to go back and check on.

Maybe it's just a my-account thing?
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Xepher

It didn't? How did you delete it? The only "delete" button I even have in webmail is "Move to trash" and it does move the message to the trash. Did you come back a long time later and look for it? Messages in the trash are automatically deleted after 14 days, so that could've been it.

Miluette

I had just logged in, deleted ("moved to trash") a whole bunch of messages in my inbox (accidentally deleting some I was going to look at), then immediately went to my trash and nothing was there.

Oddly enough, when I did the same for messages in my unsure box (all of which weren't spam, just stuff I didn't want to save), they actually went to my trash (and others I moved to my inbox).

Xepher

Hmm... that is odd. I looked into it, but can't find anything yet. I'm afraid I have to be headed out on my trip in about an hour or so, and this will have to wait until I get back. Sorry!

Miluette

Should I really just be dragging things I want deleted (but not obliterated) to the Trash folder? Or Junk folder? I only just realized recently that I could drag messages places.

Every time I use the delete button (with the "stop" symbol, at the top) it just kills the message permanently.

Although no other mail program does that with their delete buttons unless you're already in the Trash folder...

Xepher

I assume you're talking about webmail? The "stop" button (octagon) actually is the logout button. The delete button is a circle with a line through it, and it SHOULD move messages to the trash folder. It does when I try it, and if you hold the mouse over it, the tool-tip that pops up says "move message to trash".

As for the actual folders... moving something to trash, or deleting it permanently are up to you. Messages are automatically deleted after two weeks from the trash folder though. The Junk folder is for actual spam... moving something there causes the spam filter to learn that messages as junk mail, and block similar messages in the future.

Miluette

QuoteThe delete button is a circle with a line through it

That's what I meant actually. XD The other button isn't a "stop" symbol technically, since it's a hexagon! But it resembles a stop sign in color. Oh confusingness.

Anyway, that line-through-circle button is what's totally axing my messages instead of moving them to the trash, which is totally not what I wanted to do in both cases stated in this thread. I don't think I changed any settings in webmail for it to do that or anything because I only just recently started really using it (and figuring out how to use it, even). It's actually the most confusing webmail interface I've ever used.

What you just said about Junk must also be why so much of the mail that goes to this address (most of which isn't spam) ends up as "Unsure" too... 'cause I've just been moving older messages there. D: Very enlightened now. Except for my permanently deleted mail. I'll just see if I can drag whatever I want to delete to the trash. I need to be really careful about this because my most important mail will be going to that box now, and I can't forward it to my other emails.

Xepher

Well, first off, read the bit about spam filtering at http://xepher.net/help.php The key point is that messages can be delivered to "Unsure" if it's not sure if they're spam or not... basically, that means you need to train it on these messages. You do this by moving them to either the Junk folder (meaning "learn this as spam") or to any OTHER folder (such as Inbox) where they'll be learned as not-spam. After you get it trained, very few messages should go to Unsure, but it takes a bit of time to train it properly. Moving things TO Trash is or Unsure is completely ignored for spam purposes. Moving to Junk is the only way to learn it as spam, and moving it to any other folder (inbox or your own created folders) learns it as non-spam.

That said, the delete button in webmail should send it to the trash folder. If it doesn't, let me know what it says when you mouse over that button.