News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Blocked Email Issues

Started by Xepher, November 14, 2009, 11:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Some of you may have noticed that many emails have been getting bounced when you try to send from xepher.net to other services over the past few days. Turns out the datacenter where the server is got their entire range added to the Spamhaus PBL. This is a kind of blacklist, and it specifically says "these IPs are dynamic (they change ownership frequently), for home and other use, and shouldn't be sending email." I requested an unblock a couple days ago, and it went through, but as they work to resolve the issue as a whole, it looks like the server got whitewashed with the rest of them, and back onto the list. I've again gotten it removed, and hopefully it'll stick this time. If not, I'll continue to work on getting it resolved. Believe me, this is more annoying to me than anyone... I (obviously) use this for all my own mail. :-)

Miluette

I'm sad this kind of thing happens to email here. So inconvenient and unfair to boot. I'm mostly sad because of the lack-of-forwarding this also entails. Email forwarding is my friend. ;x;
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

Xepher

Sadly, it's not just here. It happens to almost everyone that's not a MAJOR email provider. Email issues about spam (either getting too much of it, or being blocked inadvertently) were the most common source of calls when I worked tech support the past year. The problem is simply that email was designed back when you could (and did) trust literally everyone on the internet to play nice. That, of course, is pretty much the opposite of today's internet, yet we're still using almost exactly the same protocol, just having tacked on things like block lists. Someone's going to have to invent something better pretty soon.

Databits

(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Heheh... yes, but my definition of "better" includes a very definite lack of failure. :-P

Databits

Get Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo on board and it will happen.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Miluette

Yes!

Soon "gmail" will mean more than just "email" with a "g"!
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?