News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

This is... weird...

Started by trekkie1701c, October 06, 2005, 04:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trekkie1701c

I have an interesting computer problem for you guys.  When I attempt to connect to Xepher.net without an anonymizer (I'm using a nice little site called FireProx right now to get here), I get a timeout error in both Internet Explorer and Firefox, as well as a web app for my PDA (it connects directly to the web without the use of a browser and it tells me that the pages I have from Xepher.net were not downloaded because the connection timed out).  I've restarted the computer multiple times, and cleared my cache in Firefox, but with no success.

Deviant Art's also been weird on this connection; it loads competely plain text (no images, etc).  Haven't tried it through the anonymizer yet (there's too many popups when loading pages)

The computer I'm using runs Windows XP Sp2, IE 6 (I think) and Firefox 1.0.7.
What are you looking here for?

Databits

To me it sounds like your ISP has DNS problems. Do you get similar results on other systems?
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

trekkie1701c

I'm able to access it fine at school; however, the school uses a different ISP than I have at home (Irony is that the school's internet connection for all of the thousands of computers is slower than my connection at home)

I'll pop in a Ubuntu LiveCD when I get home and see if I can get to the site with that.

Databits

If your school can get it and you can't it's probably a DNS issue, or, if you're running windows, a strange activex control is taking over your browser. Try checking your HOSTS file too, and look for any so-called plugins that could have snuck their way into your system that shouldn't be there.

I've ran into situations where a self installing browser object (activex control) in internet explorer would cause me to have strange redirects and loading behavior awhile back. When I investigated and found it, I removed it from the system and set the things it changed back to their defaults (i.e. search pages, etc...). Very annoying stuff.

Other situations involve a HOSTS file that something created on your system that blocks or redirects things to other sites. Also somewhat annoying as some programs are clever enough to change the location and name of the HOSTS file as well.

Last but not least, check what processes your system is running. On windows XP the only process that your really *need* to run is explorer. It's safe to blow away all the other processes under your user name. Then start up software that you intend to run. Things like IM clients, etc... Look at the process list. Figure out what should be there and what shouldn't. It's easy to tell when you have a program running that shouldn't be running.
(o.O)    

trekkie1701c

I'm not very familiar with the use of HOSTS files... where would the file normally be located?

Databits

I believe it's normally in the /windows/system32 or /windows/system32/drivers/etc on Windows XP.
(o.O)    

trekkie1701c

Never mind, found what the problem was - after some looking through of my ISPs website, I found a network status page.  Apparently they're having connectivity issues with some sites, and "apologize for any inconvinience"(right).

Xepher

Heheh... you and everyone one else. Check this out: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-5890424.html

Apparently two of the largest backbone internet providers are having a bit of a tiff. Cogent is the main provider for the datacenter where Orca (the xepher.net server) is hosted. If your ISP uses Level 3 for upstream bandwidth... well tell these megaliths to stop breaking each other's toys.

trekkie1701c

It's fixed now.  But yes, Cogent was listed as the host that they were having problems with.

At least I don't have five million pop ups saying stuff along the lines of "XXX Fun!!!" when I visit the sites here.  It was getting a little bit annoying (in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have used an anonymizer made by a guy who'd know Firefox inside and out and therefore be able to bypass the popup blocker)

And now I can go back to feeling superior to everyone because of my 4mbps connection.

Xepher

Superior? Ha! I've got a 10mbps for the server, 4mbps for home, and another 3mbps at work. Debating the upgrade to 8mbps for home too. :-)

trekkie1701c

Okay, fine.  Superior to the average person's connection (how many people actually have Broadband?)

Xepher

Oh, about 35 million people in the US alone, with another 20 million expected by next year. Worldwide it's over 150 million, expected to be a half billion by the end of the decade.

Databits

I'm at 4mbps as well.. debating the upgrade to 8mbps too once Comcast finishes the upgrades.
(o.O)    

trekkie1701c

Eh.  I can still make fun of my friend's internet connection.  Had a conversation with him shortly after he'd switched from Dialup to DSL and I complaned that my internet connection was running slow because it was "only 3.2mpbs" (according to a bandwith tester.  Checked it because pages were slowing down and such).  He complained to me that his connection was only about 250kbps after that.