News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Instructions (Read Before Posting!)

Started by Xepher, July 19, 2005, 04:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

So you want a site at Xepher.net? Okay, then follow these instructions to apply.

Before you apply, please keep in mind that I will be looking for people who can provide original, creative content on a regular or semi-regular basis. Anyone is welcome to apply, but just don't be mad if you spend an hour on the application (and a week waiting) then find it rejected.

Make sure you've read all site info. Specifically the "What is Xepher.net?" page and the FAQ. Pay special attention to the rules stated therein. If you think your content might be borderline, then email me for a clarification first.

Next, I suggest you read through some of the previous applications, to get a feel for how the process works, and what I'm looking for. You don't have to just blindly imitate them though. Originality counts for a lot around here. Just get a feel for the process, and pay special attention to my replies. They may help clarify things before you start. Also, if you're not in a rush (or still a bit confused) you may want to just hang out for a while first. Get to know people on the forums, ask any questions you may have, etc. This could let you get a better feel to see if Xepher.net is right for you.

Now, a few basic layout/protocol instructions. Make sure you have a registered account here on the forums. Your username here doesn't have to be the same as the one you apply for, but it helps if it's at least similar.

Next, come to this forum (Applications) and post a new topic with the title of your site. This is not the same as your username or URL here. For example: A comic might have the username "antarctic-u" Whereas the actual title is "Antarctic Unsanity." Use the full title for your application.

Now, start your post with a couple of simple things...

First, I need the username you hope to get. It must be less than 64 characters, and begin with a letter. Only lower case letters, numerals, and the hyphen/dash ( - ) character are allowed. I suggest you make it something at least reminiscent of your planned site title. Usernames are part of your sites URL, and the easier it is for visitors to remember, the better it is for you.

Next, I need your email. This may be spam proofed, something like "bobATniDOTcom" or "bob SPAM_ME_NOT @ ni . com" It will be read by human eyes, so as long as I can decipher it, we're good.

Next, a site description. Tell me what you plan to do, what your site will contain or be about. Include any thing else you want to mention, or that you think I should know.

Now, the main part of the application. Basically, what you're trying to do is convince me that you're going to provide something interesting and creative to the world. Keep in mind the site motto "Free Hosting for Free Thinkers."

One way, and probably the best, is to provide me with a URL to your current website. This is the most accurate way for me to judge what your website will be like here. Keep in mind, I understand that places like geocities don't let you show of your mad php skills and such. While presentation is important, what I'm really concerned with is content. If your html is circa 1995, but your writing is amazingly insightful or your art is awe inspiring, you'll still get in.

Now, another option is that you can post some of your content along with your application. This doesn't give me quite as much insight into what the final outcome will look like, but it's none-the-less a good way to see how creative people are. Be sure to try and explain any items you post, since I can't see them in context of a site.

Of course, some people are just starting out their creative careers, and don't really have much to show as of yet. Because of this, I'm going to allow a third option I call "The Challenge." This one is based on the old Phase 1 application system. Basically, it works like this: You let me know you want to go by the challenge method, and I'll start asking you questions. Some questions will have direct answers. Some will be very difficult to answer. But a lot of these questions are going to be off-the-wall... completely "whack" to use the vernacular. It's not so much of a right/wrong thing, as it is a way for me to get to know you better. It'll be a cross between a quiz show and a job interview. Also, since it'll be conducted here on the forums, it may take a few weeks.

Oh, that reminds, even the other application options will probably take a couple weeks or more. I'm holding them on the forums for a reason, that is, to let people ask questions or make comments of their own. Likewise, you'll have an opportunity to answer or correct them, filling in any details you may have neglected the first time around.

No matter which way you go, I'll eventually get to a decision. The yes or no will be posted in the forum. If it's a yes, I will also send you an email giving you temporary login info to allow you to establish your account here, along with instructions for use. You must log in within one week of receiving the email and set your basic account info. Following this, you will have two weeks to get your site up and running. At the end of this probationary period, your site will be inspected.

Now, this isn't an excuse to nitpick... I'm just looking to see if you're actually putting your webspace to the uses you originally stated, and that you've integrated the XepherNet newsbox properly (if you choose to use it.) Don't worry, everything doesn't have to be in perfect order, but I just want to see that you're actively using your account. In the past, I had too many people get accounts, then never do anything but post an "opening soon" page.

At this point, if all has gone well, then you're done. All that's left is to keep your site in good shape, and continue making the internet a better place.