News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

"Another Hopeless Venture" (The Comic)- Application

Started by Sol_Dynamite, November 12, 2005, 04:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sol_Dynamite

Desired Username: anotherhopelessventure (Name of the comic.)
Email Address: darkstar2k4000@gmail.com

Site Information:

I

dragyn

I can sypathize with the Gutterflycomix.com thing.  I was hosted and my site was online there for 2 weeks before they went down.  As I mentioned elsewhere, a pity, they were nice folks. (I was known as Dragyn there, too.)

Your work is very nice, though I suspect they'll want a little more.  Great work on the colored/shaded ones.  I'm not yet very good at that part.  

Also, you're right.  People don't expect anyone our age to be creative, though the way I see it, that's almost exactly the opposite of what's true.  Keep it up.

Sol_Dynamite

Your absolutely correct on the showing a bit more work thing, that is why I have opted for "The Challenge" because honestly I have nothing really to show off at the moment. However, I was thinking that I would do a short one page, two page comic and post it up here to show at least something to everyone. It's not going to be about my comic, which I would like to keep as under wraps as possible, but maybe like a "Comic 0", with gunfights and speedlines...something quick and actiony (Another Hopeless Venture is more like a humorous take on real life situations kind of thing so I doubt you would see any of those types of scenes all the time).

I'll get on that and have it around Monday night or so. I still want to take "The Challenge" though, it just sounds like a great idea to me.

"Diprotodon." Heh.

tickyhead

Quote from: Sol_DynamiteAlso, because of my age, I
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

dragyn

And now I have to go figure out what ya'll are talking about by "the Challenge".  It was probabaly mentioned in something I already read, and I've already forgotten.  Gah, I hate having the memory of a..something with a short memory.  See!  I forgot what I was gonna' say!

And, for clarification, I am 16 years of age as of now.  Forgot to say that in my last post.  Ah well, whatever.

Hope ya' get in!

Sol_Dynamite

"The Challange" was mentioned in the guidelines for writing an application, which I thought would actually be pretty intresting to try out.

Hah, oh and I didn't mean that all 15 and 16 year olds aren't that way, I was just making a broad generalization. It just seemed from what I saw as I read other applications just alot of higher quality, professional type of artwork you would see with an adult who has had many more experiences than me and a greater talent. I'm ready to progress further and develop more, so I didn't want to seem like my work that I showcased was my peak.

dragyn

And thanks very much for the reference to where to refresh my memory.  It was, in fact, in something I'd already read.  I hate my memory, sometimes.

Once again, great work, hope ya' get in!

Xepher

Okay, the few art samples you provided are at least a bit interesting, but as you said, not enough to go on. So... Challenge it is.

For the first part, let's start with Diprotodon. Educate me (us) on it. While you're at it, some info for Procoptodon as well would be fun. And then imagine that you were going to be turned into monkey... well, let's make it any species of primate... which species would you prefer and why? Oh, and try and figure out why the phrase "Heisenberg was compensating" is funny.

Sol_Dynamite

Quote from: XepherOkay, the few art samples you provided are at least a bit interesting, but as you said, not enough to go on. So... Challenge it is.

For the first part, let's start with Diprotodon. Educate me (us) on it. While you're at it, some info for Procoptodon as well would be fun. And then imagine that you were going to be turned into monkey... well, let's make it any species of primate... which species would you prefer and why? Oh, and try and figure out why the phrase "Heisenberg was compensating" is funny.
Now I don't know what a Diprotodon or a Procoptodon is persay, I haven't ever heard of the word except that they would probably be some later era species of animal, like a Mastodon, the suffix "-don" kind of gives it that relation...so I'm going to do some research through wikipedia and paraphrase it on my own:

Diprotodon (not to nitpick but wikipedia redirected me from the Diprotodon page to the DiprotodonT page.)- Like I had mentioned above they were a later era marsupial during the times of the Mastodon that survived for about 1.6 million years until 50,000 years ago when they officialy became extinct. There have been a plethora of fossils found of this creatures in Australia primarily in grasslands and lower woodlands centered around the water which is typical behavior for an animal of its type.
What is important about the Diprotodon and is probably why I'm having to research this animal is because it was the largest marsupial to ever roam the Earth. An average sized Diprotodon were usually 2 meters talls and 3 meters in length however the only remotely close relative of the Diprotodon are Koalas or Wombats. Imagine that on a larger scale, a Diprotodon with it's immense height next to a short, stocky koala or wombat.
But how were the Diprtodon killed? How did they cease to exist? There are 3 theories but I myself would like to focus on the two main points: Human Hunting and Climate Change, which seem to be the reason for any extinction really.

The Diprotodon became extinct after the humans arrived on Australia about 50,000 years ago. This paticular theory is called the "Blitzkrieg Theory", like the Nazi Germany war machine the theory was named after, the humans took it upon themselves to hunt the Diprotodon native to Australia. Much like the Dodo bird or the almost nearly ex-endangered species the American Buffalo, the humans over hunted the Diprotodon. This theory is controversial however because it is seen as "simplistic" and "not enough evidence", but it makes sense, and that's about all you can make of things like that.

The second theory about climate is that Australia during the time that it broke off from Gondwana (the two supercontinents of Lurasia and Gondwana, Gondwana or Gondwanaland being the most southern of the two after Pangea broke apart.) was going through immense changes in rainfall amount. During the Ice Ages that broke out over the 1.6 million years they survived it never really caused any intense glaciation of Australia, instead long periods of cold and extremely dry weather which might have destroyed them in smaller amounts. However, critics seem to point out that large amounts survived many Ice Ages before and the peak period of climate change occured 25,000 AFTER they were extinct.

So how did the Diprotodon extinct? How many licks to the center of the tootsie pop? Are their aliens? If a tree falls in the middle of the forest and nobody is around to hear it does it still make a sound?

The world may never know, or they might just have the answers right above in two theoritical forms that make astounding and intellectual infrences on something that nobody could possibly know unless they were actually there to watch them die out. But you want to know my answer:

"President John F. Kennedy" Think about it.

(wow, after that one I think I'll only give a little bit about the Procoptodon. And I did NOT copy and paste any of this here is my refrence just so you know I'm trustworthy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diprotodon  I put my blood into that page...woooo I'm tired.)

The Procoptodon was also during the same era (Pleistocene) as the Diprotodon and lived in Australia. They were a species of short faced kangaroos that stood at a huge 3 meters (talking like 9 feet).

As for the monkey question definetly an Orangutan (not announce orangaTANG, you know, with the southern twang to it), I mean just look at those guys, they sit around, bad posture, shirt off with a hairy chest, you could imagine like a beer in one hand sitting in a reclining chair just relaxing. Being totally laid back in that way is definetly something I could do, they just look like animals that could kick back and not have a care in the world. Plus as a kid I guess I have always had a thing for Orangutans, I don't know why they just appealed to me over any other type of primate. The gorilla just seems too tough and bad ass going around throwing shoulders and starting shit with people, the chimp just seems to wild, like crazy, where he would find himself causing mass hysteria inside a hotel ("Dunstin Checks In" reference) and if they look better than me in people clothes that's a definite turn off, and any other monkeys of a smaller stature just seem really annoying, like that kid in class who is always chirping in his high pitched whiny prepubscent voice and you just want to punch him in his throat.

So orangutans, because I'm laid back, just real mellow, they seem to be that way. And I wouldn't mind some lanky arms, that would be bitchin'.

Why is "Heisinburg is compensating" funny? I would go with the President Kennedy theory this time too, but nobody likes a conspiracist. So here is my take on why it is without doing any research on Heisinburg:

Media brainwashing and the right timing with the use of the phrase.
-Media brainwashing because I mean that's what the media does to you, it tells you the people what is funny, maybe Heisinburg is compensating is meaningless but the media puts a dancing panda with it or a spinning flame wheel of doom going towards a castle of the French with them screaming in their crazy language about sausages and rice cakes and its an immediate classic. It would be all over the internet and a pop-culture icon, there would be "I Love the (insert year here)" show and there would be a whole ten minutes of it with multiple comedians screwing the the words and making their own little comments on that era. That is comedy right there. I mean I WOULD probably think that phrase is hilarious then. The media made you think it is.
-The right timing is always what makes something unfunny, funny. The right context too. I mean your not going to go to a math convention and pull that joke out to a bunch of algebra nerds, they'd probably kick your ass, and you wouldn't go to a funeral or a really banging party with booze and chicks and try to break the ice with that joke, I mean especially at a funeral. "Wow...Frank looks so peaceful, you know Jill, this got me thinking..." "What Steve?" "HEISINBURG WAS COMPENSATING!" "I'm sleeping with your bestfriend." It just can't work, you need timing, you need an audience who understands, who is Heisinburg? What does Heisinburg stand for? Who knows about him? Who would get the joke at the right time and with the right group of people? What is the right time? What is the right group of people?

That's it for the first part of the challenge for me, I hope you enjoy my answers, this took a good hour to write up and I'm quite tired, its around midnight and I'm totally going to crash.

Thank you Cleveland.

And Goodnight.

Xepher

Finish the following quotes:

Time is an illusion...

Soylent green is...

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight...

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but...

Having greater intelligence is a lot like having four-wheel drive...

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light...

I mean, come on. Love is just a bunch of exaggerations and lies, all dolled up in pseudo-poetic language, uttered preferably while intoxicated, and all for the singular, universal purpose of...

It's just a jump to the left...

A rigorous framework for nonperturbative quantization of diffeomorphism-invariant gauge theory...

Cathain a thiocfadh t

Sol_Dynamite

Quote from: XepherFinish the following quotes:

Time is an illusion...

Soylent green is...

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight...

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but...

Having greater intelligence is a lot like having four-wheel drive...

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light...

I mean, come on. Love is just a bunch of exaggerations and lies, all dolled up in pseudo-poetic language, uttered preferably while intoxicated, and all for the singular, universal purpose of...

It's just a jump to the left...

A rigorous framework for nonperturbative quantization of diffeomorphism-invariant gauge theory...

Cathain a thiocfadh t

Xepher

Time is an illusion... Lunchtime doubly so. (From the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.)

Soylent green is... PEOPLE! (Soylent Green)

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight... His punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but... because they tell us dragons can be beaten.

Having greater intelligence is a lot like having four-wheel drive... it just gets you stuck in more remote places.

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light... I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.

I mean, come on. Love is just a bunch of exaggerations and lies, all dolled up in pseudo-poetic language, uttered preferably while intoxicated, and all for the singular, universal purpose of... you know. (Funny scene from Andromeda)

It's just a jump to the left... And then a step to the riyiyight... Let's do the time warp again! (Rocky Horror Picture Show... Chipmunk's cover of it is hilarious.)

A rigorous framework for nonperturbative quantization of diffeomorphism-invariant gauge theory... (I'm not even going to try, but I am surprised you found the actual subject matter even.)

Cathain a thiocfadh t

Sol_Dynamite

Quote from: XepherTime is an illusion... Lunchtime doubly so. (From the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.)

Soylent green is... PEOPLE! (Soylent Green)

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight... His punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.

Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but... because they tell us dragons can be beaten.

Having greater intelligence is a lot like having four-wheel drive... it just gets you stuck in more remote places.

Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light... I have loved the stars too fondly, to be fearful of the night.

I mean, come on. Love is just a bunch of exaggerations and lies, all dolled up in pseudo-poetic language, uttered preferably while intoxicated, and all for the singular, universal purpose of... you know. (Funny scene from Andromeda)

It's just a jump to the left... And then a step to the riyiyight... Let's do the time warp again! (Rocky Horror Picture Show... Chipmunk's cover of it is hilarious.)

A rigorous framework for nonperturbative quantization of diffeomorphism-invariant gauge theory... (I'm not even going to try, but I am surprised you found the actual subject matter even.)

Cathain a thiocfadh t

Xepher

Quote from: Sol_DynamiteHah, okay, I didn't mean to make up the other quotes but you kept it open ended so I brought it up on myself to give each of the quotes my own twist.
No no... you weren't supposed to know them all or get them all "right."

Oh, and I meant for you to give complete quotes, but I can see how I might not have been clear on that... We'll play it this way anyway.

1. I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were... a hair dryer and a toaster.

2. Anyone who knows anything of history knows that great social changes are impossible without feminine upheaval. Social progress can be measured exactly by the social position of the fair sex... and how much sex there is at the fair.

3. For the bureaucrat, the world is a mere object to... inventory.

4. A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that... being convinced of something does not always make one right. (faith does not prove anything?)

5. A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to... make every man feel important.

6. Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man Is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailent, If I live, I WILL kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the... nature of anarchy.

7. I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be... willing to consider an offer.

8. I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they... never seem to get anywhere with politics.

9. If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is... that he made God angry.

10. Capit a magnus vir flere , tamen capit a maior vir... atque potest ex casa magnus vir exire. (Couldn't figure out the meaning for "flere" or "tamen" so I had to guess at bit at the meaning)

And the poem I love to quote...
Quote from: Ogden NashThe wombat lives across the seas,
Among the far Antipodes.
He may exist on nuts and berries,
Or then again, on missionaries;
His distant habitat precludes
Conclusive knowledge of his moods,
But I would not engage the wombat
In any form of mortal combat.
Okay, final round. Sell me on a political or religious viewpoint you hold.

Sol_Dynamite

Quote from: Xepher
Quote from: Sol_DynamiteHah, okay, I didn't mean to make up the other quotes but you kept it open ended so I brought it up on myself to give each of the quotes my own twist.
No no... you weren't supposed to know them all or get them all "right."

Oh, and I meant for you to give complete quotes, but I can see how I might not have been clear on that... We'll play it this way anyway.

1. I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were... a hair dryer and a toaster.

2. Anyone who knows anything of history knows that great social changes are impossible without feminine upheaval. Social progress can be measured exactly by the social position of the fair sex... and how much sex there is at the fair.

3. For the bureaucrat, the world is a mere object to... inventory.

4. A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that... being convinced of something does not always make one right. (faith does not prove anything?)

5. A pair of powerful spectacles has sometimes sufficed to... make every man feel important.

6. Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man Is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailent, If I live, I WILL kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the... nature of anarchy.

7. I don't have a girlfriend. But I do know a woman who'd be... willing to consider an offer.

8. I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they... never seem to get anywhere with politics.

9. If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is... that he made God angry.

10. Capit a magnus vir flere , tamen capit a maior vir... atque potest ex casa magnus vir exire. (Couldn't figure out the meaning for "flere" or "tamen" so I had to guess at bit at the meaning)

And the poem I love to quote...
Quote from: Ogden NashThe wombat lives across the seas,
Among the far Antipodes.
He may exist on nuts and berries,
Or then again, on missionaries;
His distant habitat precludes
Conclusive knowledge of his moods,
But I would not engage the wombat
In any form of mortal combat.
Okay, final round. Sell me on a political or religious viewpoint you hold.
Okay I'll try and "sell" you.

Number 4 you got absolutely correct with the words in the parenthesis. Friederich Nietzsche, one of the philosophers I'm currently reading up on.

1. The Late Great Rodney Dangerfield 2. Karl Marx 3. Karl Marx 4. Friedrich Nietzsche 5. Friedrich Nietzche 6. Lamb of God "Omerta" 7. Mitch Hedberg 8. Jack Handey 9. Jack Handey 10. Jack Handey too translated into Latin. It was "It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

I'll get on to the political selling later tonight however my brother has decided that he needs to computer for an hour or two. I'm thinking about either trying to explain Atheism or explain morality, or maybe the ability to pro-choice with restrictions to certain situations. I just don't want to come in with my strongly kept beliefs and make charges at other people who may hold the opposite, I tend to do that, so I'll try and make sure I keep it to something that isn't WAY important. Because belief in god and belief in morals are very important to some people and I don't know if you would take strong offence if I decided to "sell" you on something like that.