News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Music Genome Project

Started by Xepher, November 29, 2005, 09:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

Okay, this is really pretty cool. It's a custom radio station thing, where you give it a starting band or song you like, then just give thumbs up/down to other songs. It figures out your tastes and plays stuff it thinks you'll like. I'm actually kind of impressed. I put in "Flogging Molly" and in 2 songs it was playing They Might Be Giants. I put in "Descendants" and I'm 6 songs into that now, and like everything it's played. My only complaint is that it doesn't have a lot of the more obscure stuff I listen to. Not much in the way of Irish Folk music.

http://www.pandora.com

tickyhead

Holy forks, that's exactly what I needed! Further proof that you CAN get anything you want off the internet :cool:
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Databits

Now that is pretty damn cool. Interesting concept.

Edit: While on the subject of music, anyone else ever heard of Dream Theater?
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Gwyn

Yes, my friend is a big fan of them.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Databits

They're really damn good. I mean really... My dad and a friend of his went ot see them in concert, and during one of the songs they were playing, the guitarists started kicking a soccer ball back and fourth on the stage. My dad's freind replied, "What the hell? Are they board?"

It's pretty cool that they are good enough to sing backup vocals, play instruments, and play soccer all at once. Talk about multi-tasking.
(o.O)    

Gwyn

The singer was trained for opera I think. I have no idea what the names of any of their albums are, but the one where he plays several characters is pretty cool.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Xepher

Oh, by the way, I found that the way flash works, all the songs Pandora plays are "cached" in a temp folder. In linux, it's /tmp/plugtmp/access-* for the various songs. The files cached are pure, 128kbps mp3 files. Do with them as you may. :-)

Aetre

tried starting with The Alan Parsons Project, but it completely missed the point and played the worst songs they could have done from there... i mean, i understand their picks and all, but it seems there could have been better alternatives.

will try again with Sly and the Family Stone...
"Not even the Human can stop me now..."

tickyhead

Quote from: XepherOh, by the way, I found that the way flash works, all the songs Pandora plays are "cached" in a temp folder. In linux, it's /tmp/plugtmp/access-* for the various songs. The files cached are pure, 128kbps mp3 files. Do with them as you may. :-)
Wow, that's easy. Now if only I was running on linux....
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Lei

lol....

does it work too with Windows? cause if so, that's in your User Document and Settings, then the Tempirary internet files are sometimes there and sometimes not. I'm still trying to figure out how that works :/ maybe I'll just go install linux on my computer..
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Xepher

Yeah, I haven't found it in windows yet. Wherever Flash keeps it's temp files I guess.

Xepher

Grrr... I'm having this love/hate thing with pandora. I love it, because it really seems to "get" what I like. The problem is, I try and make station for, say, "Kimya Dawson" so I can hear more of her music (rather hard to find) and it doesn't play much of her actual songs, but rather, reverts to "The Mountain Goats" which was the band I was trying to get a lot of when I found Kimya... It, it knows what I like so well, but doesn't take into account what I already have. It's like watching Scrubs, and thinking for every single episode "I have this song!"

EDIT: I mean, seriously, frack! It's playing more mountain goats on "Kimya Dawson Radio" than it is on "Moutain Goats Radio."

EDIT EDIT: "And Bruno said what Anders said some producer said to young Lennon: They can't all be ballads, Julian." (Kimya Dawson - Singing Machine) I mean, dang it, I am _totally_ addicted to her sound, and I can't get enough of it fast enough. I keep singing along, and... dang I need a life.

Databits

I'm sorry, but this thing is just too cool to have hanging around at the bottom of the page. So I'm bumping it back up there! For all you who haven't checked this thing out, it's pretty cool.
(o.O)