News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Now I'm all sorts of curious....

Started by Kira Dwenna, December 01, 2005, 05:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kira Dwenna

In light of my recent "3 jobs at one time" status (due to a slow moving away from one at the same time I'm starting another one) I've become rather interested in knowing everyone else's status.  So, to satisfy my curiousity, is everyone on this forum employed?  Do you have more than one job?  And, if you do have more than one job, do you ever feel overwhelmed?  ^^;;
Sometimes I feel unreal;
A wrapped up box with nothing in it,
I reach out and I touch my limit.

Xepher

I don't know... Does running a server visted by half a million people a month count as a job? Even if I don't get paid? :-)

But no, I've only got one job, as an "IT Consultant," and that's over/underwhelming enough. I'm sure my work ethic is just broken somehow, but 40 hours a week is simply too long to spend doing the same thing. In fact, it's more like 35 hours, as I get an hour lunch each day too. Still too long. I have a really short attention span, and get bored easily. And let me tell you, fixing problems with windows is quite boring. I'm thinking I'll have to go get some "crazy" job if I'm ever going to be able to put up with it. You know, like be bush pilot, or a dive master, or arms dealer... or something.

otrstf

I've been in the same job for 16 years now (defense contractor, doing computer simulations). It was my perfect career when I first started; but lately I have more and more trouble working up enthusiasm.  As I get more senior, the 'fun' parts fall more and more to the new folks, and I now spend most of my time troubleshooting, attending meetings and hand-holding management.  I've spent the past 40 hours working on powerpoint slides!

griever

I'm not employed yet.  The six months of hell begin after May, or so I've been told.  But for once, since 9th grade, I don't have a part time job this semester!  My parents think I need to concentrate on my thesis instead.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Lei

Highschool student. Parents say if I study reaaaaal hard this year, I can get a job next year...

Darnit...
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

dragyn

I'm a highschool student, still.  Never really had a paying job, other than mowing my grandma's lawn last year.  I always plan to get a job, but always forget, or am too lazy, or some other cheap excuse.

thefemnazi

Quote from: XepherI'm thinking I'll have to go get some "crazy" job if I'm ever going to be able to put up with it. You know, like be bush pilot, or a dive master, or arms dealer... or something.
I have the perfect job for you, Xeph.  Be an EA in my future classroom.  Self-contained EBD or an aspergers program.  Special education is never dull.

But I'm a student teacher, which is a 40+ hours/week job, unpaid.  I also have a part time job at the local Hastings, an entertainment type store.  think Borders and Wal-mart breed...that's Hastings.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Xepher

Yes, I'm a big fan of hastings, always had the best deals in town to feed my sci-fi habit. Speaking of Sci-fi, I just came across this article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4489792.stm which is hauntingly familar from the story "Evolution Never Sleeps" by Elizabeth Malartre. In that story, it's chipmunks turning carnivorous, rather than squirrels. For the curious, the story is in "Year's Best SF 5" edited by David G. Hartwell, which is a great series of anthologies.

Miluette

I work for Vector Marketing, sorta. (Best marketing company ever.) I've been off for the semester, although it ends...tomorrow. I need to start selling to make money again. You make what you earn, and in my case I can't earn much, so I'll probably ditch it in the summer for something more joblike.

My mom won't let me get a job during the semesters since she thinks it'll make my grades drop. And they probably would. I don't see where people get time to do quality school work with jobs and life as well... *no job essentially* *no life* *barely gets things finished*
And wasn't it you who told me,
"The sun would always chase the day"?

thefemnazi

I've always been able to hold down at least one job and school.  But I grew up in a family where you start working as soon as someone will hire you, and school came fairly easy for me.  I spent my senior year of college holding down 2-3 jobs while doing the full time school thing.  I also tend to skip sleeping every once in awhile.

Xepher

I need LOTS of sleep and down time. I'm honestly having trouble doing a 40-hour week at a single job. 8 hours a day is WAY too long to do any single thing I never get enough sleep during the week. I don't know how people can do this their whole life. The only thing that keeps me going is the idea that I'm going to find some way to make money without regular hours soon and be able to quit. Not much luck with that so far though, and it's getting REALLY depressing going to work all the time. I'm that guy in office space, who was asked "what would you do if you had a million dollars?" and answered "nothing." I'm there. I'd sleep in every day, slouch around, read lots of fiction, and screw around with creative ideas (writing, art, music, etc.)

I HATE WORK!

thefemnazi

See, now I'm one of those people that even if they won the lottery, they'd still go to work the next day.  But both of my jobs are interesting.  I'm mentally exhausted after school every day, but it's worth it.

Kira Dwenna

I hear that femnazi.  I've got those days.  

And I have the bad days where it seems like there's never enough sleep cells in my brain, too....but usually when I'm sick. :P

I've come to the horrible conclusion that I am very self-destructive.  Why else would one get three jobs and go to college this close to finals week?

But it IS nice to know that everyone else is working too. ;)
Sometimes I feel unreal;
A wrapped up box with nothing in it,
I reach out and I touch my limit.

Xepher

/me is giving serious thought to quitting. But don't let that discourage you! :-)

otrstf

I like to save up a couple of different projects, so that I can put down one and work on another when I get burnout.  The danger of this is that several deadlines might slip up all at once!