News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

What types of games do you like?

Started by Databits, December 13, 2005, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

Well considering I don't recall any topics like this one, and I'm trying to stir up some forum life... What's everyones game interests here? This isn't limited to just video/computer games, but all around.

My interests are pretty much RPG's of any sort. I dislike games like Monopoly and Life. Even though I like games of the video variety, I'm not really a big shooter game fan (mainly because I'm not any good at them), nor do I care for most card games (like poker, rummy, euchre, etc...). I like to play things like D&D on occasion, but over all prefer playing Kanar (a local larp here I play for those who still don't know) over it.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

tickyhead

I'm actually an ace at most board games and card games, fun way to waste time while the power is out. And trust me, it can be out for days up here in the mountains, so it's kind of the only thing to do for the whole weekend sometimes. Never been fond of chess, though....it's a joke between me and my friends that I'm the only person to play themselves at chess and lose.

As for other games, I'm a sucker for the RPGs. Not all of them mind you, I do have some standards, but I'm known to try most at least once, be it on the net, computer, console, or table. (I'm even devising my own dice-based system, but don't tell anyone! It's top secret.) Haven't tried LARP yet...granted there isn't anyone that I know of doing it over here and I'd probably be too shy to go if there was...I think I may have a social phobia or something.

Never really liked shoot-em-ups (my boyfriend is obsessed with them though so I play them anyway) or sports games, and the only driving game I ever liked was Crazy Taxi, so I guess you can scratch out car games from my xmas list too. Strategy games are okay sometimes, but I've never been a big fan.

Then there's the games that are just plain weird like Katamari Damacy, that was fun. I'll have to get past level 3 someday.

And then there's the simulator games. I dunno why they are so frelling addicting, but they are. I can play The Sims for hours and not realize that I can just do (most of) the same things by getting off my butt and actually doing them. I swear they have mind-draining powers.
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Xepher

Hmm... I'm gonna go by category.

Action: I like soccer, baseball, and LARP... well, at least the fighting/weapons side of larping.

Board: I'm not a big fan of the linear board games like monopoly, or life... I do love the strategy type though. Risk is awesome, as is Axis/Allies.

Card: I'll play hearts and spades all day/night long. Great games to play while drinking with friends. You have to think a little, but mostly it's an excuse to socialize. Not a big fan of poker or other "gambling" games though. It's not the money, even when I win 40 bucks in a night, it's just a dull game.

Video:
   Racing: Mario Kart owns! Not a big fan of any "real" racing games though.
   FPS: I enjoy on occasion, counter-strike is good, ditto BF1942/Desert Combat. Play some UT2k4 as well.
   RPG: World of Warcraft. Never could get into any of the others.
   Strategy: Love the C&C series. Warcraft III is pretty fun too.
   Fighters: Soul Calibur 2 was pretty fun for a bit, but gets old fast. Super Smash Bros. Melee for the Cube is the best game ever though. I think It's mainly because it's a social thing as well. Drink, play Smash Bros. then settle down to some drunken hearts/spades. That was college weekends in a nutshell.
   Flight Sims: Anything goes... the more realistic the better, though the old X-Wing series was awesome fun. I've been playing these since the 386, wth Aces of the Pacific and the original "X-Wing." During college, got to play on the Lockheed-Martin F-16 simulator... the real one that takes four racks of computers to run, with full cockpit controls and everything. They were letting all of us fly until we crashed. I was flying upside down through canyons, pulling tail-walks, doing touch and go barrel rolls... yet they had to ask me to get up and let the next guy have a turn. All I'm saying is that I'm impressed how well I'd learned just playing on those old flight sims.
   Other: Mechwarrior! It's like a flight sim, but with giant robots! Only problem was that they kept dumbing down the options with each release. Dang it, I want to pick exactly how many kilograms of armor go on each joint!

Tabletop: Havn't gamed much on tabletop stuff... I would like to really get into some games though. Most of the games I got into were run by some less-than-stellar DMs. I'd say D&D has a place, but I'm really wanting to try Gurps. Not a big fan of the hex/tile games like Mechwarrior, or warhammer. I figure the computer sims are better when you're getting into that sort of detail. Tabletop RPGs should be for creativity and stories, not how many centimeters of armor a class 3 laser can penitrate at 2km range.

Well, that about sums it up I think. Sheesh, I need a life!

thefemnazi

I am a very odd person in my gaming taste.  Of course, there is always tabletop, I have yet to find a flavor I don't like.  Particularly big on BESM, D&D, ans Star Wars, those are the ones I've had the most fun, in and out of game.

Video games, I like RPGs, puzzlers, and a couple fighting ones.  I would like FPS if they weren't all so gory, and if a racing game is brightly colored and marketed towards 3rd graders, I often find it a good play.

Risk does indeed rule, but Trivial Pursuit is even awesomer, because it is then that I find a use for all the random, useless knowledge I have aquired.

But, generally, anything that can potentially involve swearing, sex, or silly giggling has my attention.  Until something shiny steals my attention away again.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Xepher

Triva games... I used to love those as a kid. Well, more the fact based sort. National geographic made some great "educational" games back in the day. I think I liked 'em so much because, as the kid that was always the picked-on type, it was a chance to outdo everyone. Now, well, not so much fun. Either I know more than everyone else, and I feel bad about it, or I know less than most, and that sucks too.

I do enjoy some of the other "party" type games though. Charades, pictionary, that sort of stuff that's more social than anything.

dragyn

Well, since you asked, I'll answer.

In the way of "action" games, I play a lot of the Mario games, though I prefer the older ones.  

For racing games, I'm definitely gonna' have to say Mario Kart.  They've been great since the days of the SNES, and they've been good ever since.  I do miss the jump function, though.  I also play a bit of the most simplistic racing game ever:  Kirby: Air Ride.  Now that you're all laughing at me, I'll point out that, while it's overly simple, it's also exceptionally fun to play with younger siblings.

RPGs, now, I like The Legend of Zelda series, if that really counts.  I also like the Final Fantasy stuff, though again I prefer the older ones.  

I'm not into flight sims, so nothing there.

I have played MechWarrior, but it didn't run well on my PC.  It was fun to see how many different ways I could kill myself.  Pity I always did it on accident.

Card games...on the computer, I'm gonna' have to say Solitaire.  I can waste days playing Solitaire.  I don't know how.  If I have an actual deck of cards and a friend or two, then I play a game taught to me by my elder brother's roommate:  Chinese Poker.   A very strategic game, and there is absolutely no gambing involoved.  Only up to three people can play, though.  (To clarify, the aforementioned roommate is from China)

On board games, I love chess.  I'm not very good at it, but it's still fun.  My brother always wins.  Another board game I play is Chinese Checkers.  The aforementioned roommate plays by different rules than we learned it, though.  It took us two games to realize how he was always beating us.

I like trivial Pursuit and similar games, though I really don't have anything to say about them.

Yeah, that's about all I have for my list.

thefemnazi

my family has an Uno Attack tradition.  With every holiday, we have a party for the three daughters, our boyfriends, and any friends that have become family (example: my ex-boyfriend from early high school falls into this last group).  After those of us old enough have had at least one "adult beverage" and the cheese ball has been properly enjoyed, it is time to play with as large a group as possible.  My sister's boyfriends tend to lose, often, I tend to shoot cards at people randomly and for kicks.

But yes, Uno Attack has to be the best action card game on the planet.

Xepher

Oh, forgot the most fun drunken party game ever... "Fifty-Two Pickup," also known as "Round 'em Up Cowboy." If you've ever played it, you know what I'm talking about.

thefemnazi

I have played that game.....there is a very similar game called fire and ice.....

Aetre

anyone ever heard of a game called "Apples to Apples?"

BEST. word association game. EVER.
"Not even the Human can stop me now..."

dragyn

Never played any of those in those ones after my last post...

Databits

Actually I've never played any drinking games myself... Then again, I also don't really drink except for on special occasion.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

tickyhead

I've never played drinking games either...but I'm not old enough to drink anyway...

This is why it sucks to hang out with older people. =_=
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

Ashley_Rose

Martha always loses, Brad Pitt always wins. Celine Dion always loses, fuzz always wins.
I am sick. I am sick, sick, sick of your shit. And when I'm not sick, I'm tired. I am sick and tired!

Kahootz... I've been... *kahooted*.

dragyn