News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Nerd When...

Started by Xepher, August 21, 2005, 05:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

...you realize you just googled for "Baked Potato Howto."
...and you realize you just used made "google" into a verb.

No, really, I bought a bag of potatos and all the fixins today, but I realized I had only the foggiest ideas of how to actually bake one. I know you wash it, and it goes in the oven. No idea at all about temperature, time, other prep, etc. The surprising thing is that it seems howtos for cooking are just as prevailant as ones for various computer tasks. My search for "baked potato howto" was just as useful as "Linux VPN Howto."

Anyone else want to share some of those moments when you realize just how geeky you are?

Xepher

Oh, for the record: Wash, scrub, dry, then slather in oil and salt. 400 degrees for an hour. Delicious!

In other news, Battlestar Galactica is the best television show in existence.

That is all.

Databits

I did google searches on how to cook different chinese food dishes. Also googled for patterns for sewing different ren-styled costumes too. :D
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Lei

does getting the idea of creating a chandelier out of fishing line and CDs count? Cause that's for art class :D

Also... writing nearly fluently using different words when a few of the keys on the keyboard are useless... with very little copying and pasting of other's lettters.
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

Gwyn

Quote from: XepherOh, for the record: Wash, scrub, dry, then slather in oil and salt. 400 degrees for an hour. Delicious!
hm I've never oiled and salted mine, I just scrub them and bake them untill the skin becomes oh so crunchy, it's the way my brother and I like them. He complains if I don't bake the potatos. :p
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

trekkie1701c

Quote from: XepherIn other news, Battlestar Galactica is the best television show in existence.

That is all.
What!?  Any of the Star Trek series are the best shows in existance!....

....Okay, you know you're a nerd when you defend your favorite TV series.  And your choice of TV series can also be determined by your screenname.  Or when you look up and find "Weapons Grade Plutonium" on eBay.  Or when you've put two keyboards on your computer soley for the purpose that you can now game with your toes and your hands at the same time (yes, I've done that).
What are you looking here for?

Lei

...or perhaps when every argument and wager is settled with video games.

As with my brothers. :)
"Don't follow into my footsteps; I walk into walls."

trekkie1701c

Used to be that way between me and my brother.  But the only game that he's any good at is Descent... funny story about how he doesn't want to play me anymore.  It was a big "Plasma vs. Fusion" debate (the two biggest guns of Descent 1.  I thought Plasma was better because of rapidity, he thought fusion was better because of pure power).  First round, he point-blanked a robot with a mega missile (which kinda is a big missile... killed himself instantly).  Second round (rematch, because he "didn't know your own weapons could hurt you") he found me before I'd found the plasma, opened up with his fusion... and missed every single shot until I got the plasma and opened up on him with it.  He refuses to play me in Descent because I "cheated" (in Descent multiplayer, entering any cheatcode sets your sheilds and energy to 1 and informs evetryone of your "nice try")

You know you're a nerd when you spout off about some fight you had in a game.
What are you looking here for?

gracey

You know you're a nerd when: I read three favorite books the same time each year. And I WOULD drop plans if it interfered with the said schedule.

Or

Sitting in Applebee's where they have "ice-breaker" trivial pursuit cards (from the 80's!) and I just answer the questions like nothing, while having riblets and chicken fingers.
"Watch it Jeff, she's packing ovaries!" - Patrick, Coupling

Xepher

In other other news... Stargate: SG1 is the best television show in existence.

...But pretending Amanda Tapping isn't pregnant is just stupid.

Or is it? Later in this episode someone asked "So you're single?" and she said "Not exactly."

Gwyn

Quote from: XepherIn other other news... Stargate: SG1 is the best television show in existence.

...But pretending Amanda Tapping isn't pregnant is just stupid.

Or is it? Later in this episode someone asked "So you're single?" and she said "Not exactly."
YES! I haven't seen it in like 2 years tho....she's pregnant?
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?

Ashley_Rose

I still defend SeaQuest DSV and Popular. Those were two shows I loved and the general populace hated. God, they were funny.
I am sick. I am sick, sick, sick of your shit. And when I'm not sick, I'm tired. I am sick and tired!

Kahootz... I've been... *kahooted*.

thefemnazi

I google free knitting patterns at least once a week.  My sisters have learned that I can make ANYTHING, given proper access to the internet.  I've been asked to see if I can make underwear to match already-owned-socks, which I'm pretty sure is possible.  Ashley and I are both major textile nerds.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Ashley_Rose

I can't see why you couldn't make underwear to match -- you'd just have to find the right type of fabric.
I am sick. I am sick, sick, sick of your shit. And when I'm not sick, I'm tired. I am sick and tired!

Kahootz... I've been... *kahooted*.

thefemnazi

exactly.  The only problem is the socks in question have little turtles on them, so I'm thinking I'll have to intarsia the turtles and then knit a second layer so one is not all rubbed against the floats.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.