News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Nerd When...

Started by Xepher, August 21, 2005, 05:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

My bad again. It seems that Battlestar Galactica is the best television show in existence after all. :-)

In all seriousness though, I'm entirely amazed that there's this much good sci-fi around right now. I used to feel lucky to get one show a week that didn't suck, now I've got three, and in a few months Doctor Who starts up again, so that'll be four shows a week of excellent science fiction. Woot!

Ashley_Rose

Or, Harm, you could totally buy a patch. :)
I am sick. I am sick, sick, sick of your shit. And when I'm not sick, I'm tired. I am sick and tired!

Kahootz... I've been... *kahooted*.

thefemnazi

I could, but we all know Im a bit of a purist in my knitted fabrics.  And I think a patch might be more uncomfortable....although my sister has never been one to sacrifice her fashion for comfort.  Oh well, I have till her birthday to figure it out.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Ashley_Rose

hand sewing shouldn't be bad, but what you might want to do is just buy the not glue ones.
I am sick. I am sick, sick, sick of your shit. And when I'm not sick, I'm tired. I am sick and tired!

Xepher

Back on the subject of "You know you're a nerd when..."

You think 400 smoots to furlongs is a valid google search AND you know what both of those units are based on!

(Seriously, research "smoot" as a unit of length and I promise you'll be amused.)

EDIT: So I followed my own advice and researched it. Turns out I only knew the half of it.

http://overstated.net/04/02/27-unit-of-measurement-elected-head-of-standards-board

trekkie1701c

You know you're a nerd when your best friend asks you if you have any broken old PDAs and you just happen to be carrying one in your pocket, and when, instead of looking up the latest and greatest in cars and how to make them work better, you're looking up processors and figuring out how to hardware overclock them, and how to fit a liquid nitrogen cooling system into your PDA without changing the case.

You're also a nerd if you create, or reply, in a topic such as this one.
What are you looking here for?

Ashley_Rose

You know you're a nerd when . . .

You play a game, created by the History Channel to teach ... History... and you revel in the parts where you explain why a certain hero on the card can do the attacks he or she can. And then smacktalk based on the knowledge you have of the opponent's character.

And that game would be... Anachronism!

Xepher

Is that a real game? It sounds actually... gasp... fun! I used to play the national geographic games a lot as a kid. I don't mean in school. No, school was all dull and stuff. I played educational games at home for fun.

thefemnazi

I know, I wanna play that game too.  I was one of those kids too.  My greatest birthdays always involved lots of very thick books.
"The world is not safe for my butt!" -Spongebob Squarepants

I worship Pantsless O'Clock.

Ashley_Rose

No serious, I will find the link, it's horrible fun. Adam and I learned it at GenCon. The last game we played, I schooled him using Cleopatra to his Alexander the Great. Here's a paraphrase of our smacktalking:

Me: GaAaAAAAAaaay.
Adam:...
Me: GAAAAaaaaay.
Adam: ...
Me: GAaaAAAAAY.
Adam: At least he isn't a slutwhore who killed his brother.
Me: As opposed to a GAAAAaaaaaAAAAAAaaay guy?
Adam: HE'S NOT GAY!
Me: Totally Gay.
Adam: Nuh uh.
Me: Gay. Like a Maypole.
Adam: No PROOF!
Me: Dude, watch the special on the history channel.
Adam: DOESN'T EXIST.
Me: GAAAAaaay.
Adam: Look, if he's gay then you totally can't use that secret 'Against Male Opponents take an extra move action' thing.
Me: He was totally bisexual.
Adam: GAHH!

Here's the link:
http://www.trikinggames.com/

trekkie1701c

You know you're a nerd when you clean out the room, and your comments on stuff you find under your bed is "Oh, THAT's where I put the motherboard." or something similar.

For the game - I'm one of the nerds who doesn't like educational games.  Gimme Descent, or Gimme death!
What are you looking here for?

Phelerex

oh man, the nerds in my marching band are psychotic, i swear. some examples:

*for one thing, they get mad if you call them nerds (they prefer the term "geeks").
*i'm new to the band, so they make all these band geek jokes that are apparently hilarious, but i don't get them.
*there isn't a single one (other than newbs) that doesn't know "tribute", a song by tenacious d. it's a weird song.
*the percussionists are all perverts. every last one.
*we get personalized shirts that differ for each section. our section's shirts have written on the back "we'll play however we want to play, gosh!". last year the sax's had "every time we march, god kills a kitten". and the baritones almost had "i'm a baratone, blow me!" but it was rejected for inappropriateness.
*we make the teacher, mr. eder, do push-ups whenever he makes a mistake and messes us up.
*my brother, the trombone player, the football guy, the over-6-feet-tall-man, the mean scary one-has been nicknamed "fairy princess".

weirdos...
BOW TO ME, MY MINIONS-er-I mean, uh, here, have a cookie!
Millions of years of evolution and we humans eventually end up with duct tape.
Naw, it can't be heaven. Not enough twinkies.

Ashley_Rose

Ah marching band, the incestuous family I never thought I'd have.

Xepher

"Tribute to the best song in the world" Yes, super bizzaro song.

As for t-shirts... I wasn't in band, but I was in robotics, which was half band nerds anyway, so I know the type. As for t-shirts, we tried to make one that had a roll of duck tape that said "If you can't duck it..." Got rejected by the faculty of course. We did, however, manage to make an entire hat out of duck tape, as well as "paint" the entire robot with it.

Gwyn

Hey "Tribute" is an AWESOME song but the fact that they refrenced that stupid stupid movie for their shirts made me hate them.
Pizza party! Pizza for everyone!....who has money?