News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

You Know You're A Nerd When...

Started by Xepher, August 21, 2005, 05:15:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xepher

So I came across this comic, and it made me realize just how much of a nerd you have to be to get the joke.

http://www.dernwerks.com/HWC/?p=847

ValhallaSky

You know you're a nerd when your favorite TV shows keep getting cancelled halfway through the season!

Firefly and The Unusuals immediately comes to mind.

You know you're a nerd when your first taste of Linux is installing Gentoo after Ubuntu fries your MBR.

Seriously. Granted, this was back when Ubuntu was in beta and you couldn't install applications without ripping your molars out with tweezers. So, Gentoo, while overwhelming, was a breath of fresh air.

Xepher

Heh... someone else who uses gentoo! True enough about the TV though... I miss The Middleman, Firefly, Farscape, Better Off Ted, Book of Daniel, Wonderfalls, Dead Like Me, Defying Gravity, and Pushing Daisies. :-)

Databits

You know you're a nerd when you find programming games more entertaining than playing them a lot of the time...
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

ValhallaSky

You know you're a nerd when your desk is adorned with statues and toys of various origins.

Currently I have a stone gargole, a battery operated tachikoma, Kaylee, Mal, River and Jayne from Firefly, a Veemon plush, Articuno action figure, Bad Horse plush, and various cat and rabbit figures that were given to me.

Xepher: Of course I love Gentoo! Heck, you were the person who answered all my silly newb questions about it on AIM all those years ago. :)

Xepher

Wait wait... what? Who are you? What's the old screen name I should be recalling, because I know Valhalla Sky wasn't one I ever talked to before! The Twin Nex?

EDIT: Not The Twin Nex... just talked to her, not the same... so there's another linux using female in south texas that I've talked to but don't remember properly? Sorry, bad memory for screen names I guess!

ValhallaSky

My aim screen name was KufuTenchi505, and I -think- my old forum name was Valhalla. Granted, this was back in the early '00s (2003-2005). Back with the old gang when the forums were in constant use. :) DC Bueller, Aetre, and Gywn are the ones who come to mind.

I remember one time some religious nut tried to do a drive-by "promotion" post for his website, and it turned into a multi-page thread that resulted in you removing his site from your server. It sticks in my mind because I took offense to him calling me male, and posted my real photo as my avatar as proof of my femininity. It lead to a meme of several other forum members using their photos as well.

I hope I didn't throw you for too harsh of a loop, Xeph. The whole reason I came to check in on the forum was out of very fond nostalgia, and I couldn't help sharing. :)

Databits

Yeah, I remember back in the days when DC, Aetre and Gwyn were around too.  Actually talked to DC a few months ago when I managed to catch him on AIM. xD

I don't remember a Valhalla though, perhaps you had left by the time I ended up finding this place.  Though Gwyn seems to pop in from time to time, haven't seen DC or Aetre on here in forever.
(o.O)    

ValhallaSky

I think you were around, but we didn't interact directly with each other. Hence why I can only concisely remember DC, Aetre, Gywn and Xeph. haha

Xepher

Ah, cool... well, welcome back. It is nice to see an old face as it were. There is part of me that finds it odd that I can find nostalgia for a website I run. Also kinda scary that I've been maintaining this site for a full third of my life. Just to put that in perspective, the release of NCSA Mosiac 1.0 was in 1993, and xepher.net started in 2001. That's only 8 years, and xepher.net has been online for 9 (as of tomorrow)... more than half the effective life of the world wide web. Wow!

ValhallaSky

Wow! Happy birthday Xepher.net!

It's hard to believe the site has been up that long... or that the internet is so young! With the rate it's growing up at, its hard to imagine it ten years from now. Any guesses from anyone? We could get a pool going. :P

otrstf

>xepher.net started in 2001. That's only 8 years, and xepher.net has been online for 9 (as of >tomorrow)...

So on August 28th, xepher.net will be 50 in dog years!!!

Databits

What about in snow leopard years?
(o.O)    

ValhallaSky

You know you're a nerd when you contemplate the complexity of learning how to diagnose and repair a dead motherboard.

Databits

You know you're a nerd when you already know that it isn't really possible without a micro-soldering kit and a lot of time and patience (unless it's a large loose solder joint, then maybe). :P
(o.O)