News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Being a Pirate

Started by Databits, July 20, 2006, 05:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Databits

(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

griever

*LOL*  Does writing this off stolen wireless count?
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Yarr! I be a pirate! http://www.pirate-party.us/user/1168
Alsa, yon link only be workin' if ye be logged in yerself.

Be a Pirate!

Xepher

And speaking of political issues. Net Neutrality... there's a lot of scary stuff going down in congress. If they let timewarner get their way, it's not gonna be pretty.

Here with a comical and insightful explanation, John Stewart! http://youtube.com/watch?v=-YedWtX9tKE

tickyhead

I want that song. Yar!
I don't hate everyone, I'm just very, very disappointed in them.

frostings

haha The flashing colours in the background are blinding. XDD
The song... is catchy. *swings arms around*

tickyhead

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0yI2MQf8Tk&search=Lazytown%20Pirate
Proof that kids shows are getting better and better....why couldn't they sing about pirates when I was little?

gopus

I always thought the Lazytown show was well choreographed for a children's show. Also, the people on YOUTUBE dissing Lazytown are worthless sock sniffers.

Xepher

That's awesome! Kid's shows spread the word of the pirate.

gracey

I've been a pirate since watching the Goonies, Cutthroat Island, and Sinbad! My name is Iron Grace Kidd the Bonney!

I was a gypsy on Halloween last year and my friend Roman was a pirate. He kept on insisting that we should have lice-infested, scraggy-haired, scurvy-strickened babies together throughout the night. I hope to god he was drunk...

you can view the pic of Roman the Scrappy http://www.flickr.com/photos/irongracekidd/103619216
"Watch it Jeff, she's packing ovaries!" - Patrick, Coupling

tickyhead

When I was reeeeeally little (like, barely-just-learned-to-read little) I liked to obsess over four things: Ancient Egypt, Greecian myths, bats, and pirates. I think I have read every pirate book, at one point or another, in the entirety of the santa cruz county library system. My dad and I would stay up late watching old pirate movies (including the ones Gracey mentioned), sing pirate songs and dress up in piratey stuff. Me and my friends even had pirate-themed birthday parties. XD Ah, the good ol' days...

And I would definitely go as a pirate for Halloween this year, if I wasn't sure every other comment would mention the PotC sequel. Then again, I'll prolly still go as one anyway.

Databits

Last year I took my younger siblings around dressed in my armor and stuff from Kanar. It's funny how impressed people are with your costume when they see you in actual steel chainmail with real leather armor. I can't really carry the weapons though.... I can't count how many LotR remarks I heard that night.
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Yeah, don't you hate having your obscure nerddom stolen by pop culture? I mean, I used to be a star wars fan, then episode 1 happened. I've been hitting people with sticks and dressing up in armor for years, then LotR became a movie. Modest mouse was an obscure, indie band my freshman year., now they're on the radio. Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphy's... Irsh punk for years, now they sell their shirts at hot-topic. I mean, dang it, even computers are cool now!

griever

I guess that's kind of how I'm beginning to feel about the anime subculture.  I wasn't there in the late 80s with a translator and Speed Racer, but definitely before there was more than just Dragon Ball Z on TV.  And now there are all these kids running around screaming about how they're really "half Japanese" cause they're the biggest otaku (egos) they know.  It's impossible to sit down and watch a Miyazaki movie with these people because then it turns into an otaku fest.

Kicked out of Star Wars and being dragged, kicking and screaming from anime...I need to find a new fandom where the people are somewhat normal again. x.x  And geeky.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

tickyhead

Ah, but that's just the thing about fandoms. No matter what it is, it will always become the "in" thing eventually, and there will always be the crazy fans that latch onto it and give the other, less psychotic fans a bad name. So is life. :