News:

The anti-spam plugins have stopped being effective. Registration is back to requiring approval. After registering, you must ALSO email me with your username, so that I can manually approve your account.

Main Menu

Featured Site - How often updated?

Started by fesworks, September 15, 2006, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fesworks

Actually, in most cases I guess I have it going to the directory. If I made an index.php can I still have the index.php set to redirect to the php file, without the directory picking the wrong file?

Does it have a priority reference?

will it check for the following files in this order:

index.html
index.htm
index.php

Well I really didn't wanna mess with it too much right now because I'm not feealing the tip top of shape, but I'll check it out a bit later.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.TheShifterArchive.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Xepher

Yeah, no rush on it, but the priority for index files is...

index.php index.shtml index.cgi index.pl index.htm Default.htm default.htm index.html index.html.var

On the last one ".var" is a three letter extension for language, and the webserver will select the correct file based on the brower/client's preferred language header.

What folder/files exactly are you concerned about? If I can take a quick look, I can tell you (probably) an easy solution.

fesworks

Oh, if the PHP file is first I'll be able to edit the index.htm page to redirect the visitor to the new main page. So that will be no problem.

I'll just have to edit some code to direct to the PHP page... as well as get the all the right colors and sizes for the adbox itself.... I'll try to get that up by next week. presently I am still trying to get over feeling sick from allergies.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

griever

I went through the whole list...I think all the ones that are quite active have already been featured....  :(  What about Mystic Skies?  Or has that been featured already?  Tickyhead doesn't have the box, but he's always been around the forums, as much as I can remember.
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

fesworks

Ok, got the Jenny page fixed to have the newsbox.

I still say we bother Xepher to change it monthly :P

I think Beastling would deserve a feature sometime soon.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

griever

Beastling should too, but wasn't it featured before yours?  I thought it had made an appearance....
"You can get all A's and still flunk life." (Walker Percy)

Xepher

Fes: No rush, but it sounds like you already got it done. And yes, feel free to bug me monthly about it. :-)

Mystikskys doesn't show the "featured site" section of the newsbox. I really figure it's unfair to feature a site that isn't featuring others. Beastling hasn't been featured but... no offense intended... but... Oh frack it! Beastling it is!

fesworks

Quote from: grieverBeastling should too, but wasn't it featured before yours?  I thought it had made an appearance....
No, I think Beastling got an account right before me.... I think... or something.

Ah, I don't remember. :p

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

dragyn

Yeah, I got my account right before you, but it's never been featured.

Well...now it is.

I feel honored...

fesworks

Congrats :D

You should be getting a nice little bit of a jump for the next 30 days. Hopefully you get some that stay ;) I got a bunch mostly from DMFA and Hellbound, and inaccurate-perdition.xepher.net interestingly enough... furfire.org and jawc.xepher.net had a bit of clicks too. I'd say ROCR, but I think most of those clicks came from my PW ads on his site.

Beyond that I can't tell because my Project Wonderful stats cloud up my referer pages.

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

dragyn

Heh.  Ads won't interfere with mine, that's for sure.  The only one I have is the one you've got on your site.

fesworks

Getting close to the first of the month!

Think about whose going to be next!

www.PSIwebcomic.com
www.ArdraComic.com
www.WebcomicBeacon.com

Databits

Why not just make it some sort of smart randomized script?
(\_/)    ~Relakuyae D'Selemae
(o.O)    
(")_(")  [Libre Office] [Chrome]

Xepher

Because I'm slow... and full of lazy. Originally I liked the idea of giving a particular site a boost for a good period of time, but it doesn't seem to really matter that much given the size of xepher.net. The place is too small for a little ad-like box to have much effect it seems. I'm hoping that changes with the new server. Once I have the capacity and backend/admin stuff smoothed out, I'm thinking of really doing a publicity push to get more (good) sites. May even go put some project wonderful ads out and about, that sort of thing. On the way to doing that, I would like to rework the feature idea... perhaps even the whole newsbox. Ideas anyone?

Desh

Right now the newsbox and, along with it, featured site can be too inobtrusive.  For exmample, I found xepher.net from the itty-bitty text at the bottom of DMFA.  I didn't even register the medium size newsbox as it looked like a just web ring.

I think it needs to stand out against the pages more.  Something like using a banner or requiring it at the top.  It especially needs to if the art/creative community site idea (artica?) is used.  If the newsbox stands out more, then so does xeph.net and the featured site.  Nothing too gaudy though or it'll be more like a banner ad ;)

For the featured site now, maybe you could also use a little image alongside the text.  Liven it up a little.  Users could set it in their config like the site description.  Sort of like a site avatar.  It could also be displayed in other places like the xeph.net site directory.